Sound deadening Material on the Cheap.

-

keenkeener

Reaction score
I have gotten alot of ideas for sound deadening on this site which is great but i wanted to see if anyone has used the pad that goes under house carpet? The reason I ask is because I am currently finishing up 2 projects. Installing a console and hardwood flooring in my house. So i literally have a ton of the padding sitting next to a duster without carpet...

Its about 1/2 inch or less thick and is actually somewhat dense.

Anyone try this? I was thinking maybe using some of the dynamat type material first and then gluing down some of this padding on large flat areas.

What do you think?

If the padding will absorb or trap moisture it is not a good choice.

x2. I know the padding under carpet will absorb water. I've been looking for something on the cheap too, and the best I can figure is they sell Dynomat for a reason. I tryed left over foam from a chiller install, which would have worked, but I left it in a bucket of water and it soaked water after 24 hours, so its a no go.

I have that padding along with new carpeting. It's good for what it is but if your going to go through the whole process do it once and right. I plan on throwing in dynomat all over the inside of the floorpan. Not only does it dampen the interior but it also absorbs heat.

I have that padding along with new carpeting. It's good for what it is but if your going to go through the whole process do it once and right. I plan on throwing in dynomat all over the inside of the floorpan. Not only does it dampen the interior but it also absorbs heat.

I've used Dacron for the roof and inside the door-skins but never under carpet but I don't think it would be a problem, it doesn't hold moister at all.

It isn't very expensive and it comes in many thicknesses and widths.

It's the white woolly-looking stuff you can buy at a fabric store and it is also VERY lightweight and easy to work with

I have gotten alot of ideas for sound deadening on this site which is great but i wanted to see if anyone has used the pad that goes under house carpet? The reason I ask is because I am currently finishing up 2 projects. Installing a console and hardwood flooring in my house. So i literally have a ton of the padding sitting next to a duster without carpet...

Its about 1/2 inch or less thick and is actually somewhat dense.

Anyone try this? I was thinking maybe using some of the dynamat type material first and then gluing down some of this padding on large flat areas.

What do you think?

Foam padding from home carpet is a definite no go. When it gets hot, it smells like hell.

Jute works very well, but it does absorb moisture. I used a ½" layer of jute under the normal stuff in the Dart. It added less than 10 lbs to the car. The car is quieter than before, almost no road noise. I got the stuff at a fabric store.

The old 5th Avenue M-bodies used to have some sort of foam packed in the floor under the carpets. That may work out for you.

Also, it ain't water absorbtion that's the problem. It's the INTRODUCTION & ENTRAPMENT of Water that are the issues.

Keep the water out as much as you can. But, because it will probably get in (it is an A-Body, ya know), you have to allow for it to escape. There are many ways to do that - they mostly deal w/ allowing water to drain (drain plugs can be modified to allow water to escape...but you've gotta be strategic about it - think of it like a roof: How do you bend, drill, cut, channel, etc to make the water go where you want it to.

Fact is, anything you put under your carpet, plus the carpet itself, will trap water. So whether it's some overpriced 'space-age thermal heat shield' (b/s, it's just foil on bubble wrap), or the 30 yr old carpet padding from your latest demolition job, you'll have to deal w/ keeping the water from getting in & getting stuck.

FWIW, I put cheap-O carpet padding under new carpet 5 yrs ago & have no issues w/ it. Plus, it is FAR superior to any thin space-aged stuff w/ regard to acoustics. Remember, a basic law of acoustics is 'mass'. And the cheap stuff has got lots of that. My ride is pretty pleasant & is reminiscent of a newer car because I've stuffed so much arpet pad under the carpet, around the shifter, at the firewall, inside the vertical spaces such as doors & rear seat sides, bechind the back seat & yes, above the headliner.

Hide it, secure it, seal it & do it right. Once you do that, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you paid squat for a top-notch job.

We're A-BODY Guys & we don't just pay top dollar for junk like a lot of other Body Types, daggumit! Remember, Necessity is the Mother of Invention. And finding ways to innovate makes building your car a lot more interesting.

Good luck w/ it!

Two more items:
1) If you don't use carpet padding from a stinky old floor, you won't have any smell. Perhaps someone who's had this [roblem used old padding from under 'Garfield's Cat-Box'

2) Carpet padding absorbs heat very well. If you want though, put in the 'space-aged' stuff where there is heat. Better yet, though, & you'll laugh, but aluminum foil will do the exact same job.

I look forward to hearing all the interesting replies to this!

-
Back