sounds crazy to me

-

devil dawg

Reaction score
maybe ive been out of the game too long...i dont know. a friend of mine told me that he uses rotella in his 440. he said everyone is doing it because of the zink level. now ive never heard of anyone doing this. seems weird to me. has anyone ever heard ths?????

I run Rotella 15W-40 in my Duster's 408. It's got the same zinc content as a bottle of Lucas Break-In additive.

Rotella is all I have ever used in my solid lifter /6, How much zinc is in it I am not sure but all the farmers use it in there old non hydraulic lifter engines gas and diesel.
Yes I use it...

Yeah most oil manufacturers have greatly reduced the amount of zinc in the oil for emissions and because all new engines use roller lifters. You have a greater chance of wiping a flat tappet cam without running zinc. I use VR1 and Brad Penn racing oil in mine.

I have been using Shell Rotella in my trucks for 16 years. Never thought about using it in my car which I may try in my next oil change.

hummm .... this is new to me. I use It in our 03 diesel, just cause I was told that's good oil for diesels, never thought about why. What about everyday newer cars ....and old motors that are stock?
.......... John

I've been using it in all my old cars for the last 12 years, because of the higher zinc levels.

"Shell's Rotella website indicates that on-road testing confirms the new Triple Protection technology produces better anti-wear characteristics than their existing CI-4+ rated Rotella oil. This is achieved despite a lower zinc and phosphorus additive level as called for by the API CJ-4 specification. (The 15W-40 Rotella T with Triple Protection oil has approximately 1200 ppm of zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorus at the time of manufacture."

I prefer synthetic.
After an engine i saw opened up after 40,000 miles that had Amsoil in it all of the time, and was a 440 with a .509 mopar performance cam with the related springs etc. The cam and lifters still looked like brand new.
He by no means was easy on the engine, and the only reason it was opened up was because he bent 2 push rods over revving it doing one of the many burn outs in the car he does on a regular basis.
Well, i sure hope we don't get into that debate again.....

I used to use Rotella but I prefer Penne instead.

I got tired of counting out these suckers and trying to shove them into the oil filler tube.

Attachments

• rotelle_pasta.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 137
VR1 for break in and Amsoil 20W50 synthetic afterwards. I have run synthetic in every car I have owned for 25 years. It has never let me down, and since I live in a cold climate, I appreciate to low temp flow in my daily drivers.

-
Back