Source for Slant Six Distributor Wrench?

-
Don't know that there is one, specifically, since you can reach the bolt with a regular box wrench, or even a socket.

I don't think you even need to bend them, but back in the 70's before Al invented the internet, I've bent several wrenches, for special purposes, with nothing more than a vise and a LP Berns-o-matic torch

There was one. Vim № V-103, very useful for reaching the other bolt (the one on the underside of the distributor, holding the plate to the distributor body), so if you "ran out of room" on the slot for the plate-to-block bolt, you could gain the adjustment you needed.

That wrench is no longer made, so either you find one NOS/used, or you bend/weld your own.

There was one. Vim № V-103, very useful for reaching the other bolt (the one on the underside of the distributor, holding the plate to the distributor body), so if you "ran out of room" on the slot for the plate-to-block bolt, you could gain the adjustment you needed.

That wrench is no longer made, so either you find one NOS/used, or you bend/weld your own.
The Snap On wrench I have is a dead copy of that.....or the other way around. lol

If you MUST have a dist wrench, find one of the old KD tools 2 piece ones. They are 9/16 on one end, 1/2 on the other, with a double 3/8 female square drive coupler in the middle. So you can snap it apart, rotate the two halves for clearance, and use the opposite end as a handle, or take it apart and use a ratchet/ extension. I've never found anything (U.S. wrench size) that it would not work on. All GM, Mopar, Ford, whatever.

There may be other part numbers now, so..........

KDT104-2T.jpg

If you MUST have a dist wrench, find one of the old KD tools 2 piece ones. They are 9/16 on one end, 1/2 on the other, with a double 3/8 female square drive coupler in the middle. So you can snap it apart, rotate the two halves for clearance, and use the opposite end as a handle, or take it apart and use a ratchet/ extension. I've never found anything (U.S. wrench size) that it would not work on. All GM, Mopar, Ford, whatever.

There may be other part numbers now, so..........

View attachment 1716105672

The slant 6 has a 1/4" bolt with a 7/16 head. lol .....well two actually.

Last edited:
I have a snap on one from back in the 70s but haven't needed it in years for this application

I have a snap on one from back in the 70s but haven't needed it in years for this application
A long extension with a 7/16 socket works well, but if you need to get to the bolt underneath, the dedicated distributor wrench is nice to have.

Also OEM Tools 25289. I think I got this in the dollar bin at Pep Boys.

IMG_20230622_233715401.jpg

A simple 18" extension is all you need.
Yeah? Interesting. How shall I use a simple 18" extension to reach the bolt that's actually in question here, the one with its head under the distributor, facing down? A step-by-step will be helpful, plz and kthx.

I use a 7/16 swivel socket on a long 1/4 extension works good for the main one, bent a wrench up for the underside actually.

The slant 6 has a 1/4" bolt with a 7/16 head. lol .....well two actually.
LOL ya know Rob, I'd forgotten---some years back I FOUND a "half" of a KD style wrench--that was 7/16 !!! (Garage sale for cheap.)

Yeah? Interesting. How shall I use a simple 18" extension to reach the bolt that's actually in question here, the one with its head under the distributor, facing down? A step-by-step will be helpful, plz and kthx.
Remove the distributor?

Alan

LOL ya know Rob, I'd forgotten---some years back I FOUND a "half" of a KD style wrench--that was 7/16 !!! (Garage sale for cheap.)
Yup, they made um, like in the above post, but they're tough to find.

You won't. It'll get to the top bolt, though.

I might be new to the slant six but I have dealt with the distributer a little.

I'm trying to understand why you need to get to that bolt with the distributor in the car?

Alan

I might be new to the slant six but I have dealt with the distributer a little.

I'm trying to understand why you need to get to that bolt with the distributor in the car?

Alan
To adjust the timing.

Isn't that the bolt to the block?

Alan
Yes, but there's another under the distributor. Unless it's a later model with the different distributor hold down.

-
Back