Spanish....

-
You now know the difference between a punto and a puta. See? You're learning already.
Are you sure you want to know what dad is saying about you?:D
Hmmmmm you got me thinking now........

Oops. Sorry.
To late now :D I need to find this one picture of him. He looks like a Mexican Mafia member. Every time I see it I can not help but laugh......Ernie has been talking about wanting to take him on another trip to Oaxico to see his family there. Might be alone next year for a few weeks again.....

Puta la Grande'. That's what I used to call my ex boss, of about 45 years ago. She was attractive, pretty hot, and about 15 years older than me, divorced, fairly well off, and dated a different guy every week, most of whom also seemed to be very well off. lol

I don't know that she knew what I was saying, but I think she understood the "grande' part, so I imagine she thought I was calling her the "Big boss". Lmao...

you can always try this basic technique always start with " el " and end with "o" when trying to speak spanish example el-move-o your el-car-o cause it is in my el-spot-o. it seems to work as my mexican co-workers seem to understand it. or if your wife speaks it have her put post it notes on everything wrote in spanish and always try to pronounce them

Spanish! Man that is so last week! Here in Macon, Ga. The wisdom of our very liberal Board Of Education has imported about a dozen teachers from China to teach our elementary children Mandarin Chinese.

So there!

That is actually a brilliant idea. Knowing Mandarin opens a ton of doors in the business world and learning at an early age is the only way to absorb it. There are plenty of wealthy and succesful Americans hiring Mandarin speaking nannies to expose their children to the language. Like them or not, we have to deal with the Chinese and dealing with anybody in their native language earns you respect and a stronger negotiating position as the OP will see when he learns a little Spanish.

That is actually a brilliant idea. Knowing Mandarin opens a ton of doors in the business world and learning at an early age is the only way to absorb it. There are plenty of wealthy and succesful Americans hiring Mandarin speaking nannies to expose their children to the language. Like them or not, we have to deal with the Chinese and dealing with anybody in their native language earns you respect and a stronger negotiating position as the OP will see when he learns a little Spanish.

Sounds more like we are preparing our children to be subordinate to the new world leader. Personally, I'd rather bring the manufacturing jobs back here. That's not short sighted, either. We are have been and are presently moving from an industrial society to a service society. With that move goes the high paying jobs and the American industrial complex.
I'd much prefer to keep this country's industrial mite on our soil, and under our control. That's not a Left or Right think, that's an American thing.

Regarding languages, rather than force Mandarin as a mandatory course, I'd still prefer the choice be left to the parents, and have the school system offer it along with Spanish, and even an Arabic language, and maybe a few others.

They're forcing Mandarin as a mandatory? That wasn't clear in your original post but yeah we always had 2-3 options; German, Spanish, French.

Re: mfr jobs. I'm with you 100% but I'm probably more skeptical than you on how realistic it is to bring those jobs back. I do a ton of international business and have been to almost every region of the world. The free market/globalization gennie is out of the bottle and will be hard to put back. These "developing nations" are booming in the industrial sector and their people are hungry for work, work hard and for pennies. Not sure how the US can compete with those wages without a strict a import regimen and isolationist attitude.

Anyway, going back to the original topic, like somebody told me once about teaching our kids Mandarin. At least when the Chinese come to collect their debt we'll have some of our people to defend us.

They're forcing Mandarin as a mandatory? That wasn't clear in your original post but yeah we always had 2-3 options; German, Spanish, French.

Re: mfr jobs. I'm with you 100% but I'm probably more skeptical than you on how realistic it is to bring those jobs back. I do a ton of international business and have been to almost every region of the world. The free market/globalization gennie is out of the bottle and will be hard to put back. These "developing nations" are booming in the industrial sector and their people are hungry for work, work hard and for pennies. Not sure how the US can compete with those wages without a strict a import regimen and isolationist attitude.

Anyway, going back to the original topic, like somebody told me once about teaching our kids Mandarin. At least when the Chinese come to collect their debt we'll have some of our people to defend us.
And what exactly does this have to do with me learning Spanish??

First off there is no hate intended in my comment. Being a second generation Cuban American I speak both languages. My comment to mexicans (mainley since they are the most abundant that I encounter) is this. If I travel to Mexico, are the people there going to speak english on my behalf? No and I don't expect them to. If you are going to live in another country, learn their language. Again no hate intended!

At 73 years of age I taught my Grandmother english. Or enough for her to follow a conversation.

Don't know if it helps at all, but my Dad actually learned Latin in high school and college. (Yes, I'm that old). He was dang good at conversational spanish and, on the few trips we took south of the border, he could strike up a chat just about anywhere.

First off there is no hate intended in my comment. Being a second generation Cuban American I speak both languages. My comment to mexicans (mainley since they are the most abundant that I encounter) is this. If I travel to Mexico, are the people there going to speak english on my behalf? No and I don't expect them to. If you are going to live in another country, learn their language. Again no hate intended!

At 73 years of age I taught my Grandmother english. Or enough for her to follow a conversation.
I understand what you said, and to a point agree with your first comment. But I am also somewhat of a realist. He lives in a Hispanic community. He deals with nothing but Hispanics. He is talking about moving back into his place across the border here real soon. So to expect him to to become fluent (he speaks enough of it to get by) in English is just, simply put, stupid. And maybe I need to be a bit more clear, this is a RESPECT thing for me. Nothing more, nothing less. I married into a family that speaks another language. People can save the this is America mentality. Really don't need to hear it. It will be far easier for me to learn to to speak Spanish than it will be to take an ignorant stand......and be disrespectful to my Father in Law......

I understand what you said, and to a point agree with your first comment. But I am also somewhat of a realist. He lives in a Hispanic community. He deals with nothing but Hispanics. He is talking about moving back into his place across the border here real soon. So to expect him to to become fluent (he speaks enough of it to get by) in English is just, simply put, stupid. And maybe I need to be a bit more clear, this is a RESPECT thing for me. Nothing more, nothing less. I married into a family that speaks another language. People can save the this is America mentality. Really don't need to hear it. It will be far easier for me to learn to to speak Spanish than it will be to take an ignorant stand......and be disrespectful to my Father in Law......

See you went and got pissed, that wasn't my intention. I'll leave this alone.

See you went and got pissed, that wasn't my intention. I'll leave this alone.
No Sir, did not get pissed at all. Sorry if you took it that way, just my opinion. Just find it interesting, and this is not directed at you, that some people are so wrapped up on the "This is America You Will Speak English" thing. My wife's family is beyond gigantic, she is one of, when you count everyone, from before her Mom and Dad were together and after, of like 15 kids. Just in cousins and nieces/nephews it was over 200. In this family there is oblivious some illegals. She has several family members in Mexico. On my side of the fence it was just me and a sister, a handful of cousins, nieces and nephews. I just think it would be a hell of a lot easier for me to learn their language then the other way around.
I spent 15 years in the Post Office in Phoenix. When I first started there, and i do not know the right term for this so I will just use white folk, were by far the majority. Towards the end of my time there while white folk were still the Majority, the gap between Majority and Minority closed dramatically. Just a fact of life that things are changing.
If I offended you in anyway in my comment that you quoted I do apologize......

No harm no foul. Thanks

No Sir, did not get pissed at all. Sorry if you took it that way, just my opinion. Just find it interesting, and this is not directed at you, that some people are so wrapped up on the "This is America You Will Speak English" thing. My wife's family is beyond gigantic, she is one of, when you count everyone, from before her Mom and Dad were together and after, of like 15 kids. Just in cousins and nieces/nephews it was over 200. In this family there is oblivious some illegals. She has several family members in Mexico. On my side of the fence it was just me and a sister, a handful of cousins, nieces and nephews. I just think it would be a hell of a lot easier for me to learn their language then the other way around.
I spent 15 years in the Post Office in Phoenix. When I first started there, and i do not know the right term for this so I will just use white folk, were by far the majority. Towards the end of my time there while white folk were still the Majority, the gap between Majority and Minority closed dramatically. Just a fact of life that things are changing.
If I offended you in anyway in my comment that you quoted I do apologize......

Hopefully, just the fact that you expressed an interest in learning to communicate with him in a language that he is comfortable with should earn you some respect with him. Marriage itself can be difficult enough, without being multi-cultural. Kudos to you, my friend, let the detractors drown in their own biases!

-
Back