Spare Ballast Resistor

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Hi guys. Taking the Dart to Carlisle in a couple weeks so I'm lining my ducks up.

My car was converted to MP electronic ignition last fall. I need a 4 wire ballast resistor to keep in the glove box in case I need to replace it on the road. What year/type car should I order it for, and where should I get it??

1969 Dart with 340/727

Thanks in advance,
George

You have a 4 wire ballast resister on a conversion? Odd.

Ans. 1973 Cuda. I own one and it came with a 4 wire ballast resister.

You have a 4 wire ballast resister on a conversion? Odd.

Ans. 1973 Cuda. I own one and it came with a 4 wire ballast resister.
Well, now that you asked me that question, I have to go look at the car. I ALWAYS assume. :D

BRB...........

Also grab a coil and the ecm and a extra fuel pump.I always do.Never had to use ant of the above but sure helps with pease of mind.Have a good time George.

Well, now that you asked me that question, I have to go look at the car. I ALWAYS assume. :D

BRB...........
OK, I guess I'm about as dumb as they come. :D Its a 2 pin ballast resistor, with 4 wires on it.
So, can I simply buy a stock BR for a 69 340 car as if it still had points??

Boy, I feel like a dope! LOL

Thanks,
George

Dont forget the extra wheel bearings, master cylinder, and water pump. LOL
Sorry guys but I still just dont get it.

Hey George, check the original paperwork to see if the resistor was suppose to be bypassed. Seems strange to me to have one on that system. When I installed my Pertronix they said to bypass it so I soldered a piece of 16 ga on the back side of it to keep the stock look.

Jim

For a bit better spark you could get the MSD ballast. I think it's 1/4 ohm.

I have a box of 2 and 4 prong resistors, I'd be happy to send you one if you
want.

I'm with redfish on this one, no matter what you take along, you will always
be missing that one thing!

Paperwork for the install shows the ballast there, and how to wire it. Car runs great, I just want a spare to carry with me.
I have a spare orange ECU and a Delco coil already, just need another BR. I'll hit NAPA tomorrow and see if they have one.

Snake, thenks for the well wishes. Its a 5 hour drive each way from here so I just want to be prepared because I'm taking my 9 year old son along.

Thanks for the help dudes!!!

George

I have the MP conversion, I went to autozone to buy a replacement, After they brought out 2 different kinds, I asked to see pics of resistors, we finally found one that matched the one that came in the kit. 85 diplomat, IIRC8)

we finally found one that matched the one that came in the kit. 85 diplomat, IIRC
There ya go, match the specs of the resistor.

I always had 2 ballast resistors and 2 ECU screwed to the firewall in my Valiant as a teen.... always went when wet
Then again so did my girlfriend at the time.................. what was her name?

-
Back