Spare Tire Filler

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a '70 Duster and do not carry a spare tire. I want to fill that spare tire hole so I can carry something in the trunk if I want to without crushing the fiberboard. What have 'yall done to fill in that area?

But then you would have to hang those little scented cardboard trees off your mirror.

I have a '70 Duster and do not carry a spare tire. I want to fill that spare tire hole so I can carry something in the trunk if I want to without crushing the fiberboard. What have 'yall done to fill in that area?

All kidding a side. Your spare tire holds the Gas tank up . The bolt pulls up on the tank strap bracket and uses the tire for support. Driving the car without without the spare fastened in place and the tank full could allow the bracket to pull through the floor .

I kept the spare in my Duster for that reason. Got hit hard and the Tank stayed secured to the car.

Having a tow service years back I have seen it all. Towed many A bodies in with the tanks ripped out after fill ups and hitting a hard bump in the road. Our RR tracks down the road were notorious for that. Take a look at the bracket and the straps fastened to it from the tank. You decide. That bolt pulling up holds the tank up and the tire down.

DSCN1267.jpg

DSCN1268.jpg

DSCN1283.jpg

DSCN1284.jpg

DSCN1695.jpg

DSCN1666.jpg

DSCN2818.JPG

DSCN2819.JPG

20220305_094312.jpg
Build an egg crate like box from a 2" x 6". It is just about the right thickness. You could even build in a provision for the spare tire bolt to hold it in place.

I seen a guy take plasic sheeting and lay it in the whole trunk. He used expandable spray foam then waited for it to harden. Removed it because the plastic kept it from sticking to the floor. The he smoothed the top with a sander and laid the fiberboard back on top

Oldman, that must have been a knarly accident. I have never seen damage to that extent.
I dont agree with needing the tire to hold the gas tank in. I never used the tire hold down bolt and many times never had a spare. I think if your tank is ripping out you have some rust issues. Sure the tire would help spread the load of the tank but it shouldn't be necessary to hold the gas tank in.
Why not just throw an old tire under the fiber board to support it? Minus the rim to save on weight.

Sono tube

They come in different sizes.
upload_2022-3-5_12-30-53.png

OR make a nifty storage compartment for flares, tools etc.

As for floor reinforcement you could cut a round piece of 3/4 plywood and wrap it in black felt and carriage bolt it in the stock spare tire location.

Heck you could mount the Sono tube to the outer diameter of the 3/4 plywood and make another about 8 inch dia for the center, felt the entire assy and set it in place with the carriage bolt, all kinds of storage! wrap the jumper cables around the center tube and have plenty of room for cans of fix-a-flat!

If you want to get REALLY fancy... Line the wheel well with plastic wrap. put in an inch of foam then the 3/4 plywood insert in the well, fill the rest of the cavity with closed cell expanding spray foam. then after it is set up cut out compartments for the Fix-A-Flat cans and other things. Or create inserts wrapped in plastic wrap to form in spaces. then felt the entire thing

Last edited:
Any Democrat cut down to fit. Just make sure your plugs are in.
I was wondering how long it would take to get a disagree.
Oldman, that must have been a knarly accident. I have never seen damage to that extent.
I dont agree with needing the tire to hold the gas tank in. I never used the tire hold down bolt and many times never had a spare. I think if your tank is ripping out you have some rust issues. Sure the tire would help spread the load of the tank but it shouldn't be necessary to hold the gas tank in.
Why not just throw an old tire under the fiber board to support it? Minus the rim to save on weight.

Seen it with my own eyes. The thin well is not as strong as you think.. Little bit of rust and away it goes.

-
Back