Spare tire in the trunk

-

240 gordy

Reaction score
I have P245-60R14 on the rear of my 69 swinger, what tire will fit in the spare tire cavity in the trunk . I have a 5 1/2" rally wheel from a 70 to mount it on. A P205-70R14 fits in OK but it is about 2 1/2" to wide which causes a big bump in the trunk when covered. I need to keep the wheel diameter (25"-26") about the same in case I ever have to use it, I don't want to damage the posi unit. Any thoughts.....Thanks

I was using an ancient P195R14 as a spare, but even it was 3/4 inches too wide. I put pieces of 3/4 ply on the trunk floor on either side so the board would lay flat and not crack (this was in a cuda fastback, where the trunk is really small). 185 is the width that would lay flat, but I don't think anybody makes a tall enough 185-14 -- it would need to be an 80 series. Maybe Coker would have something in a vintage size, but then you wouldn't want to mix bias-plies with radials, either. Seriously, I've looked at it, and it's hopeless -- no current 14in radial tire is narrow enough at 25.5in diameter. When my fastback is back on the road, I'm just going to get a matching rim with a full-size tire, and put it behind the seat under the glass, like a European rally racer. I'll put a toolbox in the useless well.

Some people have found those narrow mini-spares in a usable diameter, but you need to be running Large Bolt Pattern to use any of them.

Hmm, it just occurred to me that my convertible's spare doesn't bulge hardly at all. I wonder what size it is? It is probably 25-30 years old, though. Just went and looked -- it is a Goodyear Vector 175/75R-14. The diameter is really small -- maybe 24.5in. But even the 175 width bulges the floor up maybe 3/8 inch. This is on a 4.5in wide rim -- on a 5.5 the sidewall might be a little flatter.

Thinking about this makes me wonder if there would be a market for a retrofit trunk floor/fuel tank combo with wider and deeper tire well, for contemporary size tires...

You will find that not much of a tire will fit and lay flat to the trunk floor surface. I stuck a 185x 14 tire on a 14x4.5 steel rim and still had to let the air out of it to get it to almost lay flat enough so the trunk board would lay almost flat.

Those two are a near match
The 245 is 80.35 roll-out
the 205 is 79.48 roll-out
The diameter difference is about 1/4 inch. Why wouldn't you just use another 245. Oh I see the laying flat tire is too high, duh.
Yeah I haven't ever carried a spare in my Barracuda. I use the space to organize my tuning parts. I mean what would I carry? A 27 for the rear or a 24.5 for the front? I did have a tire go down on me tho, this one time. Three miles from home. I stuck out my thumb at the first passer-by, who gave me a lift right to my door; I love this province.

Last edited:
Live with a bulge, I have tried everything and finally decided life is too short to worry about a bulge in the trunk that only I know exist. I decided knowing my spare will work properly is more important than a flat trunk floor. You would think someone would have made a retro trunk size wheel and tire to fit by now, considering how many they would sell if made. I see trunk floor bulges at car shows all the time so I am not alone in this decision.

The diameter difference is about 1/4 inch. Why wouldn't you just use another 245. Oh I see the laying flat tire is too high, duh.
Yeah I haven't ever carried a spare in my Barracuda. I use the space to organize my tuning parts. I mean what would I carry? A 27 for the rear or a 24.5 for the front? I did have a tire go down on me tho, this one time. Three miles from home. I stuck out my thumb at the first passer-by, who gave me a lift right to my door; I love this province.

-----need to have a spare tire to pass a safety, no safety, no licence plates

Some people have found those narrow mini-spares in a usable diameter, but you need to be running Large Bolt Pattern to use any of them.

As long as you've got the BBP there are quite a few different spares available that will fit flat, or almost flat, in the spare tire well. I use a spare tire from a G35, it's a 5x4.5" pattern, 145/80/17 so about 26" tall. It doesn't sit in the well perfectly flush because of the shape of the rim,but it's pretty darn close. I needed a 17" spare to clear my 13" brake rotors in the front, and the rear tires are 26" tall so that's what I needed for the limited slip in the back. The hub bore was a couple mm's to small, but that was easy to take care of.

No inspections here in California :D, but since my Duster is my daily it's nice to have a spare available. I've since gotten rid of the bottle jack and picked up a scissor jack at the local picknpull. It's a little better suited for the intended use, and a lot lighter.
IMG_1824_zpsawvplxuf.jpg

IMG_1822_zpsojer7eso.jpg

Yall wont like my solution cause I'm thinkin' stinkin' Lincoln. A 90 Towncar has a temporary spare mounted up on the trunk floor with a fussy gray cozi over it. So delete the worthless spare tire well and install a flat trunk floor.
Then the plastic fuel tank from 96 Cherokee will mount right under there. Electric fuel pump is a bonus. The tank with pump/sender/regulator assembly from a 6 cyl. Cherokee doesn't even require a return line. That regulator dumps excess fuel right there in the tank.

-
Back