Spare Tire Rod

-

Matt Miller

Reaction score
Is this a correct spare tire rod for a 1970 Dart?
Spare Tire Rod.jpeg

You'll have to see if its long enough. The spare sets higher in the tub. This moves the cardboard up. I just put one in a slant six Duster that was changed to a 5 1/2 wheel. The original was to short to put the second wing nut on. so I had to go to the garage and get a longer one. There are three different lengths. Don't ask me the measurements I do not know off the top of my head

1. Put your spair in the well
  2. Put the fiberboard cover over the tire
  3. Measure from the fiber board to the bottom of the well
  4. Add an inch.
Thats about the length you will need.

Now if you want something slick...

Get a 14x4.5 wheel, put a Firestone F560 tire on it.

Sits flat in the well.

Firestone F560 Radial Tire | 155R14

Measure from under the head to the end of the threads. For 5.5 rims the length should be about 8 3/16".

The one I posted is only 6.25 in. I guess its too short.
Anyone have an extra one they want to sell?

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the help guys.

1. Put your spair in the well
  2. Put the fiberboard cover over the tire
  3. Measure from the fiber board to the bottom of the well
  4. Add an inch.
Thats about the length you will need.

Now if you want something slick...

Get a 14x4.5 wheel, put a Firestone F560 tire on it.

Sits flat in the well.

Firestone F560 Radial Tire | 155R14
I believe the bolt should sit even or lower than the board or it will poke a hole in the trunk mat. There is a recessed washer for the top of the board that reaches the stud.

The large toothed bendable for reach wingnut is rounded so it also doesn't poke through the mat. The wingnut under the board that holds the tire, jack base and hook is just a regular wingnut. So there is 2 wingnuts. One above the board which is adjustable by bending it for depth and one common wingnut below the board.

Member Johnny Dart showed it in the above mentioned thread:

Bottom up

1. Spare tire
  2. Jack Base
  3. Jack Hook
  4. Large wing nut
  5. Large hardboard panel (floor)
  6. Large cup washer
  7. Small wing nut.

faucet-pics-888-jpg.jpg
faucet-pics-891-jpg.jpg
faucet-pics-892-jpg.jpg

The large toothed bendable for reach wingnut is rounded so it also doesn't poke through the mat. The wingnut under the board that holds the tire, jack base and hook is just a regular wingnut
Reverse the wing nuts.

I have a 71 car here with the correct jack parts in place. I'll get some pictures this weekend. Also we were looking at the 67 Barracuda and will be changing the jack base to go with the Big Bolt spare. The jack bases go with the wheel registry .

The big wing nut goes on top of the board cover cup. The points on the underside dig into the cup so prevent it from loosening due to not being able to make it real tight or you will concave the board.

Some of the jack instructions show the an incorrect way.

If the big wing nut was intended to go on top, why wouldn't they have made the cup bigger, the purpose of the cup was to flush out the hardware.
This is a 67 Barracuda so no hook. The bolt isn't original to better fit the modern tires.
IMG_8858.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

IMG_8860.JPG

Alan

Last edited:
-
Back