Spark Plug Heat Shield And Gasket

-

sgaugian

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have looked in the service manual and can not find an answer. When putting on LH exhaust spark plug wire heat shield do you use a LH side manifold gasket or not? I am putting a RH side manifold gasket on.

I have looked in the service manual and can not find an answer. When putting on LH exhaust spark plug wire heat shield do you use a LH side manifold gasket or not? I am putting a RH side manifold gasket on.
The LH heat shield just goes on left side. RH heat shield is just the lower part of the LH heat shield.

I put the heat shield and used the exhaust manifold gasket with it on my 67 273 build.
Gasket against the head, then the heat shield.

I don't think there were any exhaust gaskets used....the manifolds were just bolted to the head.
the correct heat shield has a raised boss that is 'kind of like a gasket though.

I don't think there were any exhaust gaskets used....the manifolds were just bolted to the head.
the correct heat shield has a raised boss that is 'kind of like a gasket though.
On those 340s the heat shield is the gasket.

Correct . If the manifold and head surface were machined properly, it didn't use a gasket. That is only true of cast iron heads and manifolds. Since their expansion and contraction rates are the same, there is no need for a gasket. The main purpose of a gasket is to seal dissimilar materials, irregular surfaces.

-
Back