Spark plug wire holder with aluminum valve covers

-

Pumpkinduster

Reaction score
Hey all just looking for some idea here. I have a 318 in my 74 Duster. I just received my plain aluminum tall valve covers I wanted. I realized one of my steel stamped valve covers still had the two wire holders on it on the passenger side, which is pretty clean. Has anyone come up with a good way to keep your wires in place and neatly routed while using this style valve cover. The are bolted from the top so I cant use any of the basic ones that use the valve cover bolt either. Just trying to keep it clean lol

I have a couple of thoughts one would be more preferred but might be pricey.

My first thought is to just fab a couple brackets that would fit in the valve cover bolt holes and run down the side of the valve cover to holders. Not that cleaning in my head.

Other thought was to get a couple small aluminum post with female threads and have them welded onto the valve cover where I want so I can just screw the holders of my choice to the valve cover.

Engine1.jpg

How about just using some of the basic universal "long" wire looms and attaching them at the header bolts? They're easily bendable/modifiable to fit your positioning.
s-l225.webp

How about just using some of the basic universal "long" wire looms and attaching them at the header bolts? They're easily bendable/modifiable to fit your positioning.
s-l225.webp
Duh why didnt I think about the header bolts. Good call, also alot cheaper so if I dont like it oh well!

On my race car, I use the separators, but let them "float". I arrange the 2, 3 or 4 wire holders to keep the wires separated as well as possible. Some of the holders lay on the valve cover to keep the wires from contacting the metal. But I avoid any bolt-on wire holders intentionally because of frequent valve lash checks & adjustments.

On my race car, I use the separators, but let them "float". I arrange the 2, 3 or 4 wire holders to keep the wires separated as well as possible. Some of the holders lay on the valve cover to keep the wires from contacting the metal. But I avoid any bolt-on wire holders intentionally because of frequent valve lash checks & adjustments.

That makes sense being a race car, this one is more of a street and show but I have similar setup on my 440 belvedere.

My first thought is to just fab a couple brackets that would fit in the valve cover bolt holes and run down the side of the valve cover to holders. Not that cleaning in my head.
You can find those commercially.
IIRC those are the basis for the ones I rivetted to the cast aluminum valve covers.
Depending on the valve cover thickness a fine thread screw could work as well.

Most recently added factory type support for the electrical wires. May look odd but functional.

upload_2022-1-28_17-25-46.png

Tried both closed end pop rivets (shown below) and U drive screws. For sheet metal to sheet metal rivets are probably the better choice.
upload_2022-1-28_17-28-58.png

They work OK.

upload_2022-1-28_17-32-39.png

upload_2022-1-28_17-38-14.png

upload_2022-1-28_17-39-20.png

I like these plastic clips, first saw them used at the shop for machinery cables. MSD sells them is a pack of 16 for about $20.
MSD#8841
CAC971C6-1C26-4554-ADB4-47FA8956B5B2.jpeg

DB67FB2A-9A2F-4838-B0FE-D29189D5DA47.jpeg

Last edited:
Just reread the title, here my set with aluminum covers, a combo of the MSD holders and accel one that mount to the vc bolts

DC92E8EF-6F76-4702-84FF-15283465A17E.jpeg

Just reread the title, here my set with aluminum covers, a combo of the MSD holders and accel one that mount to the vc bolts

View attachment 1715861687
Yeah the nice part is you have the lower flanges, mine are top mounted so the bolt is to high for that. But I have temporarily have a solution unit I find what I want for the long term.

318-1-30-22.jpg

-
Back