spark plug wires

-

moparmarkk

Reaction score
Any company make a good set of spark plug wires , in orange for a /6 thanks ,mark

IIRC Taylors were blue. MSD are yellow. Scott or Davis are orange....but $$$

makeing your own is the best bet, you can make a high quality set for less than a sub standard ready made package
and avoid paying an astronomical price for a branded set. which i'm sure are great BUT you don't need to pay $130 - $230 for a set of leads

moroso do build yer own kits for about $50 but not in oranage

ideally you get some spiral wound cable
approriate ends
but try to get them with either inetgrated or seperate pins
comercial lead connectors have a inegral pin/spike pressed in to their structure that pushes down the core/insulation gap
aftermarket, make your own lead style connectors often do not.

the usual method for the crimp on ends without itegral pin/spike is to strip the insulation on the wire and bend the core back into the crimp. Awkward and the wound spiral wires on the soft bendy core matrial can fracture

with the seperate pins/spikes (see kit below) you just cut the cable insert the pin down the side of the core for half its length
then bend it across the end of the core and back up the oposite side of the inuslation into the crimp area
use that side as the back/base of the crimp

check the parts in this kit
Sparkrite Build Your Own HT Leads 6 Cylinder
Notice: The small green crimp tool works really well in a vice
Notice: The small brass pins/spikes.. makes this job easier and is a better solution than bent back core
kit comes with 3 types of end for dizzy cap + enough for king lead.
2 long wires LONG
2 medium wires quite long
2 short wires not short
1 shorter short wire
cut to length as all deliberately way to long for the job.

use a set of mole grips or pliers to coax the crimp in the right direction before applying the tool.
use smooth end to form crimp, and the profiled end to mash the open ends of the crimp inwards to finish it.
Washing liquid on the boots, and either put them on first, or force them on over as an afterthought. both methods work.

make sure you get enough parts to make a coil to dizzy King lead.
If the cap has male studs rather than female buckets get the right ends. The male HEI Style studs take the same conenctor as a spark plug, only the boot differs.

i'm sure you will find similar in the US
orange cable must be available...

all parts seperate but i doubt its worth you shipping from here Make Your Own HT Leads - Powerspark Ignition - Page 2

orange lead from the US

Ton's 8mm ORANGE silicone SUPPRESSION CORE SPIRAL WOUND SPARK PLUG WIRE foot | eBay

Dave

Last edited:
actually looking at Ton's ebay store, he's got just about everything you need
1000s of parts so i didn't find any pins but hey, ... you can make your own, cut up the battery connector out of an old torch or radio, with tin snips, or just buy a few bags from the UK and they'll get there eventually

Last edited:
standard was probably a 7 mm wire in modern speak, finding original boots might be an issue but if you already have a set swappint the boots across might work

The old $7.99 Taylor/Mallory(?) Blue spark wire kits you got at Supershops had the spikes.

Anyone know of a supplier of black wire, orange straight boots(stock for 67 sb)?
Denso. I have a set of their wires for a 78 D150 360, other than the Denso logo (can be removed easily) they look the same as a set of oem’s they replaced. Nice quality.

Here’s what you might be looking for:

278707C9-2EA6-45B4-9D71-24AA52217DEB.png

To me, the operative word in the original thread is 'good'.

Cheap leads use a high resistance carbon track as the conductor for the spark. These can & do crack leading annoying & intermittent problems.
So make sure the leads use a metal conductor, copper or s/steel, helical [ spiral ] wound for EMI suppression.

was hoping someone out there had a nos factory set, if not ill make my own thanks for all the input ,mark

I have a couple of high quality sets, one black and one grey but nothing orange.

-
Back