Spark Scatter

-
now that's sounds like experience talking............Artie
Somewhat. I installed a Mopar e-distributor and an HEI module in my 64 slant, but haven't finished wiring it up (other tasks, and home jobs before cars). I know I have a 50:50 chance of getting it right the first time. I did test sparking by spinning the distributor. Now that I think of it, I should have shone a timing light (triggered off coil HV wire) at the reluctor teeth while spinning the distributor and see where it is triggering to take the guesswork out. I'll do that before I complete the wiring.

My "spin test" also showed that I need to twist the pickup wires since the module sometimes "self excited", i.e. positive feedback. That is easy to get in temp wiring with alligator jumpers strung about. One final note, I also found that some pickups have the wrong double-bullet connector. I bought 2 new ones off rockauto at the same time, and one made erratic connections since the male terminal was too short. The manufacturer appeared to have used a standard applicance connector, whereas the Mopar one is a bit different. Check yours carefully.

well Bill,that is one motor that I have never been able to get tune as smooth as I like to see them then again I haven't fooled with many of them.I could get the older ones to run better than the newer ones.I would tighten the valve lash down enough to take the taping out set the points put the timing to where it smoothed out and they would idle and run very well.and I love setting the choke on them or any mopar as far as that goes I could set them to where you just had to touch the pedal to set the choke they would fire right up drop them in gear and take off with no stumble back firing or anything...........thanks Artie

FYI, The latest Mopar Action has a story on distributors and touches on spark scatter.Might be worth looking at.FEB 2014 issue.

Who made the Mopar ignition box? How well is it (and the fender it's bolted to) grounded? I've had my best luck with Standard Ignition LX-101 modules. I also remove the paint from the body panel and use dielectric grease at the mating surfaces. On some cars I'll add a ground strap too. It seems like as the cars aged and parts were sourced further afield the boxes got more "hit or miss" (pardon the pun...lol) along with having a good ground.

Who made the Mopar ignition box? How well is it (and the fender it's bolted to) grounded? I've had my best luck with Standard Ignition LX-101 modules. I also remove the paint from the body panel and use dielectric grease at the mating surfaces. On some cars I'll add a ground strap too. It seems like as the cars aged and parts were sourced further afield the boxes got more "hit or miss" (pardon the pun...lol) along with having a good ground.

just a parts store box which im sure is the problem lol... all the grounds are clean.

Just as a check, sometimes those style of coils have issues with Chrysler of ignition. It has to do with the Ohms being to too high or too low for the ignition. It'd be worth a check. Just my two cents.

-
Back