Speaker holes 68 Baracuda Notchback

-

SGlez10

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I attached a photo of the back of my 68. Can anyone tell me what these two holes are for? The ones boxed in, in red.

I posted this on a FB page but have gotten a couple different answers so I’m just here double checking.

Also, no picture but the dash takes a 4x10 speaker that I want to replace with something more modern. Classic Industries sells a 4x10 and they claim that their version is the one that fits correctly. Does anyone have any experience with this? My car is an AC car.

3D2DE12B-004A-4F5D-999C-5E4C11E85C72.jpeg

Are those factory holes? Normally I see speaker holes that are more like the 6X9 with a pressed in or recessed area that is punched out.

Off hand, and can’t say. Sorry I’m no help here.

Just saying …. IF I was doing a stereo, the 6X9’s would pack a great punch once amplified. Going nuts on more speakers wouldn’t be my route. Just quality parts.

What were some of the FB answers?

I can't help you with your rear deck holes, but I have a Retrosound R-410N in the 4" x 10" hole in my 1968 Barracuda dash. I like it, sounds good. It's a dual cone speaker, so it gives a little stereo sound if used with an aftermarket radio. It can be wired monaural to give 8 ohm impedance to work with correctly with the factory radio. It clears the A/C controls.
There are people on this forum who make and sell an adapter to fit two aftermarket speakers in the dash. It's worth checking out. If it clears, I probably would have gone in that direction if I'd seen it before I got the Retrosound speaker.

Those could be for rear defrost? I stripped a notch that had it mounted close to there. One hole intake other side outlet?

I don’t think that’s it or how they worked my man.

Are those factory holes? Normally I see speaker holes that are more like the 6X9 with a pressed in or recessed area that is punched out.

Off hand, and can’t say. Sorry I’m no help here.

Just saying …. IF I was doing a stereo, the 6X9’s would pack a great punch once amplified. Going nuts on more speakers wouldn’t be my route. Just quality parts.

What were some of the FB answers?
Defroster was the most popular answer. Followed by a couple saying they also had the holes but not the drilled little ones on the outside of them.

I can't help you with your rear deck holes, but I have a Retrosound R-410N in the 4" x 10" hole in my 1968 Barracuda dash. I like it, sounds good. It's a dual cone speaker, so it gives a little stereo sound if used with an aftermarket radio. It can be wired monaural to give 8 ohm impedance to work with correctly with the factory radio. It clears the A/C controls.
There are people on this forum who make and sell an adapter to fit two aftermarket speakers in the dash. It's worth checking out. If it clears, I probably would have gone in that direction if I'd seen it before I got the Retrosound speaker.
Thanks for this info

Nice!

Your telling me one of those is a defrost intake now?
If so, do please spread that out!

schoooooooooled by 4spdragtop!

Oh there ya go. As far as stereo systems go, the biggest speaker you can fit will sound the best, at least if it is equal in quality. A quality amp and at least a good head unit will mostly round it out. I still run old skool equalizers. My favorite is a JVC that has sperate controls for the front, rear & sub woffer.

I like that defrost set up. Depending on climate and driving conditions, it’s a hard call with great tunes and being able to see…. LOL

I've no idea, I just know the nb vs fb defrost setups are different. The holes the op is asking about look factory with the "notch cutouts " on either side of the holes.
As for the dash speaker, get a bracket/adapter that mounts under the dash. It holds 2 4" round speakers. Fits perfect, no cutting etc. I'll look for pics.
@moparmat2000 makes them.
Nice!

Your telling me one of those is a defrost intake now?
If so, do please spread that out!

schoooooooooled by 4spdragtop!

I had a Road Runner with those holes pre cut, but the speaker hole was 6"x 9" to match, and rotated 90°. A low option car, so no defogger. I put a pair of Jensen Triax in the holes from underneath and away I went.

I think he sold them all, it was in 2020 so I get it. The bracket he created is meant to replace the 4x10 Original and fit nicely? That’s cool he made them.
Thanks for the info on the defroster, will look into this and will most likely PM you if I decide to move forward with this. If I leave it as is without the defroster set up you posted will my rear window fog up?

The factory rear defrost is pretty lame, it uses air inside car to defrost. We have it in our 67 FB. All depends on your climate if it will fog up or not.
If you send Matt a msg, he may have more available.
I think he sold them all, it was in 2020 so I get it. The bracket he created is meant to replace the 4x10 Original and fit nicely? That’s cool he made them.
Thanks for the info on the defroster, will look into this and will most likely PM you if I decide to move forward with this. If I leave it as is without the defroster set up you posted will my rear window fog up?

The factory rear defrost is pretty lame, it uses air inside car to defrost. We have it in our 67 FB. All depends on your climate if it will fog up or not.
If you send Matt a msg, he may have more available.
Im in Southern California we don’t really have “weather” here haha it’s practically 70 degrees year round with the exception of “winter” we may see some lows in the upper 50’s. I’ll look into the set you sent me for sale and yea I messaged Matt, I’ll wait for his reply. As always thanks 4spd.
I’ll attach some pics of my 68 since you been helping me along the way since the day I bought it.

Was automatic. Now 340 (.030) 4 speed center console. Gills restored and spears were restored and made out of stainless steel. Car was painted jet black. Next up is headliner and windows… then electric then insulation. Then interior

1796C953-A6AD-421C-B5F5-18038C5C8D35.jpeg

24C17DEA-8930-4EA3-84B6-837B85FBC16B.jpeg

6106B243-4310-4CCC-824C-EA1B2E6E9AC6.jpeg

C267D541-2597-4A36-8056-00A25E5937EF.jpeg

30826184-20ED-491E-A010-3DF12660535D.jpeg

I bought retro sound speakers from Crutchfield for my 69 dart. The front dash speaker and the rear speakers both fit really well. I was surprised. They sound decent also.

I've no idea, I just know the nb vs fb defrost setups are different. The holes the op is asking about look factory with the "notch cutouts " on either side of the holes.
As for the dash speaker, get a bracket/adapter that mounts under the dash. It holds 2 4" round speakers. Fits perfect, no cutting etc. I'll look for pics.
@moparmat2000 makes them.
Hi Steve, I appreciate the plug. I was making these, but the time involved in making them, and what I could get for them, plus the fact that it didnt seem like anybody was interested, I just quit making them. I kept the last 2 that I made. One is for my 67, and one is for my sons 69. Last one I sold was 2 years ago. SGlez10 nice car BTW. Black is always hard to pull off and make perfect. Looks like you did just that. Should look sharp when done.

My 69 notchback came with factory defrost. The two centre holes are outlets, the larger right hand 'speaker' hole is the inlet.

Hi Steve, I appreciate the plug. I was making these, but the time involved in making them, and what I could get for them, plus the fact that it didnt seem like anybody was interested, I just quit making them. I kept the last 2 that I made. One is for my 67, and one is for my sons 69. Last one I sold was 2 years ago. SGlez10 nice car BTW. Black is always hard to pull off and make perfect. Looks like you did just that. Should look sharp when done.
Thanks man and I understand. If you ever decide to make more I’ll be on the lookout.

yes thank you on the car it’s coming together little by little.

-
Back