Speaking of intakes.....

-

68 Sedan

Reaction score
What's the story on these "performance Products" pieces I see on ebay all the time? someone told me they are the same as a name brand, but without the name so they are cheaper. I'm thinking of an air gap for the Sedan, although it won't be the best for street use.

Combo will be 76 318 stock except for a VooDoo 401, springs, Mopar O.E. Holley 4166, headers, 4 speed, and (for the moment) 3.23's

I don't speak fluent smallblock

Mostly, I think they're just overseas rip-offs of Edelbrock designs. I had a friend who put one on his Off-Brand street rod. He seemed to like it.

There chinesse knock off's. Plain and simple.

Lets back up a second and describe the parts in specs and words rather than Part numbers.

Can't say much about it really. The cam is Lunati Voodoo Cam and Lifter Kits
Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet,
# Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
# Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/220
# Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.475
# LSA/ICL: 112/108
# Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
# RPM Range: 1000-5500
The Holley is an O.E. Mopar piece that is a 600 cfm vacuum secondary.
Ignition? Well, there is an electronic distributor in the motor, but seeing as how I'm going mostly all retro I might go with a Prestolite
Compression? OE for 76
Valve sizes? OE for 76
Headers....for this application I doubt brand matters.
This is a cruiser with P/S and A/C, so it's a matter of looks, a little thump, and a bit better than stock performance

what did I forget?

Nothin for me. I think a RPM type intake is a bit much, (port window size issue. The intakes is larger than the 318 head and will cause fuel to crash into the head.) but would be OK. The engine, cam is small wiith a light compresion ratio. The OE 318 heads valve sizes are 1.78 intake and 1.5 exhaust.
Your right on headers. All the street ones are 3 tubes under the front end parts 1-5/8 tube.

I think a Edel. Performer will be good to use IMO. Looks like a nice street freindly set up with nice power in a daily driver mode. Go everywhere and never break stuff kind of set up with some power to lay down a little rubber when needed.

I'm running a similar set up with a Crane split cam @ 216/228 - .454 - .480 on a 112. Nice mello idle with a little punch. Edel. LD4B (The intake before the Performer, dual plane small port windoe and a square bore carb pad.) & a 600 Holley with the like headers and exhaust @ 2-1/2 inch. Rear ratio 3.21's and a 904 trans.
All in a '74 Duster.

A Perstolite huh? Retro? Sounds cool.

I figured there would be a port mismatch between the heads and intake. I also figured IF I pulled the heads to change springs and/or just have them checked over I would port match the runners about 1 inch in. (this is supposed to be a 66K mile motor) Wouldn't be a bad time to go to a larger exhaust valve if I decided to do that. Back when I had an engine analyzer program on the puter I learned the best thing you could do for a SB was to go with a larger exhaust valve. Made a bigger difference than a bigger intake valve. Never ran any scenario with an intake as small as a 1.78 though.

Preciate the input.

Oh yeah. I ran a Prestolite on my Six Pack Challenger. Had it setup by a guy in Ft.W that is probably one of the last people around here with a distributor machine and knows how to work with a point distributor.

Opening the 318 heads port will be good. The 1.60 exhaust valve is a great idea. The exhaust side doesn't breath as well as we would like.

-
Back