speaking of murder machines

-
Don’t know what you’re cutting, but I just knocked down this jungle with my little D130 John deere

View attachment 1715951116

View attachment 1715951117

its tall grass, weeds, saplings, and some odd reed looking stuff that overgrows everything like crazy

i finally broke down yesterday and bought a walk behind string trimmer
440Wx440H?assetDescr=T4X1070DM.jpg

(generic picture of course)

i think this should do the trick

Can you get The Blade of Death for it?
they make something called a beaver blade for it
a 12 inch blade with a groove in it (like the groves in the blade of a chainsaw) and a saw chain on it
i guess the idea is that the chain can slide in the groove a bit to absorb shocks

ill see how the string works first, and if that doesnt work well i think i may braid some steel wire in instead of the nylon before spraining for the deathblade

Have you ever took a braided/ twisted wire wheel on
a angle grinder to old bodywork on a car? Man, they Attack!

I tried it a few times on this machine (no idea what gauge the cable was, but surely thicker then a typical throttle cable)
They only lasted minutes

On the bright side, none of the strands made it into my shins

So, I put the nylon string that came with it back one ), does pretty well

20220831_084929.jpg

20220831_091127.jpg

I tried it a few times on this machine (no idea what gauge the cable was, but surely thicker then a typical throttle cable)
They only lasted minutes

On the bright side, none of the strands made it into my shins

So, I put the nylon string that came with it back one ), does pretty well

View attachment 1715978727

View attachment 1715978728
I tried the same on a big string trimmer, didn’t last but seconds, that nylon is tough, btw I’ve found that the smaller sting last the longest on my Commercial Echo.

I use this at the hunting property and we're taking down waist high grass, thistles and reeds. Works like a charm but make sure you have replacement blades because if one blade breaks it's out of balance and will wreak havoc on your arms
Weed Warrior Push-N-Load Residential Grade 10.13 in. L Blade Trimmer Head - Ace Hardware

ive used those (or something similar) on the hand held weed whackers, they do a great job, and if you take your time you can use them to trim right down to saplings

they do sell a kit for my machine, but im not sure if i trust myself with it (and its 250 buck)

33100_0-1024x1024.jpg

That looks brutal and I'd want to make sure it had locking nuts or some failsafe. I'd have to pass on that too!

You can get a smaller Beaver blade for a standard weed eater. I've been thinkin about one for my Stihl.

Back about 10-15years ago I had a hand held weed wacker that took a blade that looked sorta like a skill saw blade kinda, IF I remember right. I was cutting down locust saplings with a 2 inch diameter . I had to hit it only maybe twice. Me and another guy cleared about an acre with such.

The secrets to those over a saw blade is the teeth have to be shallow so it won’t take too much of a bite. 1/4 to 3/8” the most. Like the fin on the chainsaw blade behind cutter, ya wanna cut fast grind that piece down a little. The saw champions saws don't have that, it’s ground off completely, better have a GOOD engine and strong arm.

The secrets to those over a saw blade is the teeth have to be shallow so it won’t take too much of a bite. 1/4 to 3/8” the most. Like the fin on the chainsaw blade behind cutter, ya wanna cut fast grind that piece down a little. The saw champions saws don't have that, it’s ground off completely, better have a GOOD engine and strong arm.
I did tree work with an old Biker from West VA. He showed me how to competition cut the blades, after sharpening, grind those Dog teeth down. And Hold On Baby! They don't throw sawdust, they toss 2x4s!

-
Back