Speaking of old tools--hardware sorting tray

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
My Gramps, now long gone (2000 a few days past his 100th birthday) had built ? 3 or 4 of these in the '40's, and one or two got left at his place after Dad and Mom bought it when I was 6, about 1954. I've used these many many times over the years to sort nails screws, whatever. Just a simple scrap of masonite, some small pine nailed from the bottom and a 'chute out one corner, and an eye lag screw to hang it up. It's about a foot square

I guess you can see it has been "used"

IMG_3473.JPG

That's neat, and the opening, probably to pour the hardware right into a baby food or peanut butter jar.

I got these from my Dads toolbox after he passed away. He was a mechanic most his adult life. These may have been some of his first hand tools. I think I'll just keep em for awhile. And let someone throw em away when I pass !
20190413_132911.jpg
20190413_132928.jpg
20190413_133028.jpg

I have a small drill like you pictured. Hollow handle to hold bits

I have a couple of those hand crank drills, they are awesome. My grandfather built boats so he had all kinds of tools like this.
I have a bunch of those trays but they are modern upgrades from harbor freight. Pops should have patented them.
Funnel Tray

I have a hand crank drill, though it's not as old. I have nearly the same "monkey wrench," and a few of the other wrenches. The majority of which came from my grandfathers. Quite a while ago, my dad gave me some old, handmade tool storage boxes, that I think we're also my grandfather's.

I have no kids to leave my Grandpa's tools to.

I need to go find some 24 year old, and stop 'er up.

My Gramps, now long gone (2000 a few days past his 100th birthday) had built ? 3 or 4 of these in the '40's, and one or two got left at his place after Dad and Mom bought it when I was 6, about 1954. I've used these many many times over the years to sort nails screws, whatever. Just a simple scrap of masonite, some small pine nailed from the bottom and a 'chute out one corner, and an eye lag screw to hang it up. It's about a foot square

I guess you can see it has been "used"

View attachment 1715830971

Good idea. You should post that on the Home Made Tool thread. I am probably gonna make one for myself now. Thanx.

Made one out of sheet metal years ago, yours is way cooler!
Saved up some old tools, then welded them to some expanded metal which is now the grille in my 51 fargo.

That sorting tray hasn't changed... HF still has that exact thing, only in plastic today. Still as useful as when your Gramps used it.

-
Back