"special high performance" 360?

-

vtmopar

Reaction score
Ran the numbers on a block I have comes as a special high performance.
What's the difference.
Thanks.

I will post the numbers soon.
It the engine in my 71' dart right now.

Numbers on the side of the block are in general numbers. You'll need where there stamped below the cylinder head drivers side for any special info on the engine.

Special HP engines came with double roller timing chains, windage trays, HD springs and a 340 cam. like an E-58. (Cop Engine)

Numbers on the side of the block are in general numbers. You'll need where there stamped below the cylinder head drivers side for any special info on the engine.

Special HP engines came with double roller timing chains, windage trays, HD springs and a 340 cam. like an E-58. (Cop Engine)

Yep, you will need this number.
If it is a special performance, there will be a 3 right after 360.
Sequence like so: ? ? 360 3 then production #'s
The ? ? are Date & plant #'s
Hope this makes sence.

Since you guy's are on the subject I have a 360 I don't know much about. On yhe front of the block it goes like this; 5k 360 8 39 1

oops! k 360 8 39 1
I was told it's a 73. Thanks for any info

I purchased a Dodge Aspen Super Coupe new in 1979 I think. Anyway it came with a police package motor. It was designated differently and the valve covers were painted black. Sure wish I hadn't sold that one. I'm wondering if that is what you have. Police Package

Hi All,
I am intrigued to the special performance "3" designation also. I thought it was a '73 block too. I have written down the block numbers as well as the heads and they came back as '73 components. Any additional info from you pros would be awesome such as CR, valve size,etc.

Thanks,Mike

................1974-5-6..............360 4bbl hp.............double roller tc+gears,hd oil pump drive., 340 cam, windage tray, hd rockers........basically a carry over from the 340.....188 + 160 valves,single with damper valve springs, 8.0 comp............kim.............

I think the 3 after the 360 can also denote a heavy duty 360 which many trucks had. I have one in my carport.

double checked the numbers:

drivers side: 4006830-360-3

passenger side: 6-21-76

thanks

In that case, the -3 simply means the mold for the block had been repaired 3 times........

Case in point, Original marine blocks, had no dash, original HD truck blocks, never went past 5..........

But the dash really doesn't mean anything, I have seen -14's that were beautiful, and -2's that had casting lines actually running up into the bottom of the cylinder.

6-21-76 is when it was made, then, after that, there will be a arrow with a clock, or 3 dots, pointing to the time of day, shift, or something.... (No issue really, just kept track of the riff raff blocks)

After the 1971 340, when the compression was lowered and the intake valve was made smaller (starting in '72), Mopar never made a "performance" small block.
The marketing was still there, but the power was gone. I remember those days, and everyone lamented the death of the muscle cars. Everyone hated the stripe packages that were lamely marketed as "muscle".
When I see mention of those dogs (with apologies to real dogs) nowadays, I still cringe.
I recently bought a 74 Dart Sport, because it ain't worth nothing. It'll never see the street until it looks like a 70-71 Duster. It's just going to be a hot rod.
On second thought, it's a good thing they made those dogs, I can chop up the Dart way I want, and I'm not ruining it's value. It may even increase it, even though it's a clone.

After the 1971 340, when the compression was lowered and the intake valve was made smaller (starting in '72), Mopar never made a "performance" small block.
The marketing was still there, but the power was gone. I remember those days, and everyone lamented the death of the muscle cars. Everyone hated the stripe packages that were lamely marketed as "muscle".
When I see mention of those dogs (with apologies to real dogs) nowadays, I still cringe.
I recently bought a 74 Dart Sport, because it ain't worth nothing. It'll never see the street until it looks like a 70-71 Duster. It's just going to be a hot rod.
On second thought, it's a good thing they made those dogs, I can chop up the Dart way I want, and I'm not ruining it's value. It may even increase it, even though it's a clone.

well..it is now 2010...and all those dogs probably have had their engines rebuilt...and if you were smart...you upgraded the engine...to run like a younger dog....if not...well..

A 74 360 in stock form was no "dog"........... And the "dog" 340 with the small valves was by no means a "dog".... Hell, even the 4002bbl in 78 wasn't a "dog"......

Now a 351M ferd, there's your "dog".............

BTW.....

the E58 was a "performance" smallblock.... Just drive a little red.........

Argh, some people.

The 4bbl 7-1 compression 318 was a "performance smallblock"...

NVM, believe what you like.... :)

OK......What happens when the "3'' is before the 360?
My block numbers are 3418496 . 3 .360
I realize it is a 71-74........but is the 3 because the mold was fixed 3 times or is it infact a special high performance...

Well, it isn't a HP thing..........

Could be they just put the mold # in front, could be third time was the charm.........

No "special" blocks, just packages.......

AND, your motor, from the date you posted, is a 76......

and all small block chevys including the lt1 and 340 and 351 had no trouble disposing of. now theres your dog

-
Back