Specs for my SB

-

HOOCH

Reaction score
Well i got my custom ground cam and just wanted to see what kinda flow im going to need out of my heads, and what size carb i will need to make this beast run right and run correctly...

Specs...
360 Block bored .60
Forged pistons
408 stroker crank
Shooting for 11.5:1 comp
Alum heads (havent picked um yet)
Weiand Xcelorator single plane intake
Cam specs...(bare with me im just typing what the card shows)
Events rated @.05" Tappet lift
...... Cline....Dur......Open....Close.....Lb Area....Lb lift....VlvLift...RAR......LbSep/Adv....Overlap
Int: 104....248.8 .....20......48.9......30.26.......355.......532......1.5........105.7...........43.8
Exh: 107....259.6.....55.8.....23.8......32.63.......371.......557......1.5.......1.7 Adv

Gear ratio,transmission, vehicle weight, and cylinder head flow,would help considerably.... A Holley based style 750 ,would be usable,with the supplied info...

I'll throw out a thought or two off the top of my head.....

If you're looking for mainly a street ride, I agree, a 750cfm Holley would be fine. Although the intake is a single plane, it's not huge, and should be fine for anything other then a really mild stroker.

As far as the heads.....A slightly cleaned up pair of Eddy's that flow around 260/190 would probably be a good compromise for torque and streetability, especially with the 4" arm.

Even though it looks like you're near 3,000ft elevation, I'd watch that target compression ratio, even with the aluminum heads. That cam may or may not bleed off enough cylinder pressure to be really comfortable on pump gas?

Once you fill us in on the intended use and other particulars, I may have a change of mind in certain areas. :D

sorry about the lack of info

8 3/4 with 3:91 in it now but have 3:55 laying around
4spd
street and track use, but street manners aren't necessary as the car will be driven very little. maybe 2k miles a year if that. its a full interior 67 dart with 17" wheels. If i have to run avgas in it i will, i have a 100LL pump a mile from my house, pump gas is not required.

You bought it,whar are the specific's ....(I have made this decision before and it cost me more...)

You bought it,whar are the specific's ....(I have made this decision before and it cost me more...)

What specifics are you referring too? My 2 main questions was what kinda flow my heads will need to support my camshaft and what size carb as well.

So here's a question that goes along with my original one....can you have heads that flow too much ?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Not really,on the head flow. A cleaned up Edelbrock LA set around Ricky's flow numbers,would be nice. Mine was a pump gas 9.7 to 1 actual compression 408.My homeported set,flowed 280-ish@ .500-.550 lift. Cam specs look relatively close. I would shoot for 10 to 1 compression(for pump fas premium). If you run the Weiand,have whoever does the heads,do the intake at the same time.

I think normally you'd have the rest figured out and tested first - then order the custom cam to get what you want out of the combination.

Moper ,that's the smart way. Let's spend more money, time,& aggravation instead.

"Bombers" numbers are sweet, but I'm still not sure how far you want to go?

I like my numbers if it will be a streetable/torque type engine. And my opinion is it would be plenty in a A body.

If you really want to make some big power, and are willing to port the Eddy's enough, or maybe look at the Airwolf heads, i can see a easy 50hp increase. If that's the way you choose to go, you'll need to look at a cam in the 255/260 @ .050 range, and a carb something like a 950cfm performance unit.

You definitely have enough gear to go either way...

I think normally you'd have the rest figured out and tested first - then order the custom cam to get what you want out of the combination.

I do have the rest of the combination figured out, bottom end, intake, just needed to see what kinda flow I'd need to support my cam. And I've been reading "how to build horsepower vol 1" and from what I gather the cam is the most important part of the motor, in the fact that it has more effect on every part of the motor, gearing etc. So why not chose a cam and build your motor around the cam selection??

My apolgiies to you .guy? What is your gear ratio.transmission, and gear ratio. in the rear end... Good God man, you can't shove a R.p.G. missile,through a .o22 rifle...

My apolgiies to you .guy? What is your gear ratio.transmission, and gear ratio. in the rear end... Good God man, you can't shove a R.p.G. missile,through a .o22 rifle...

833 4sd tranny
3:91 in the rear but also have a 3.55 laying around the shop.

You can build an 600hp shortblock with the greatest cam known to mankind, but, top it off with a set of heads that can't support it, and you'll horribly miss the mark.

What do expect or desire for a power output. Go from there selecting.

Selecting a camshaft first may not be the best approach.

I'd guess with a decent head that cam could make 520ish, but not with that intake manifold. Xcellarators are good in some cases, not this one! Ask 70AARcuda what happened when he swapped to a Victor340 on a stroker.

If I could make the 450hp range I'd be plenty happy with that. But if I can hit 5 why not!

450hp... that's nothing. A stock set of heads with mild clean up and a voodoo 268 hyd cam, Air Gap and a 750 with headers.

This made decent power with a small cam. Idled real nice with a Voodoo 268.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6780602&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

You could get there with a set of RHS iron heads too. Save some money that way as well.

Your current cam choice is WAY too big for a 450hp output level.

450hp... that's nothing. A stock set of heads with mild clean up and a voodoo 268 hyd cam, Air Gap and a 750 with headers.

This made decent power with a small cam. Idled real nice with a Voodoo 268.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6780602&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

You could get there with a set of RHS iron heads too. Save some money that way as well.

Your current cam choice is WAY too big for a 450hp output level.

Well then sounds like I'm shooting for 5-550

-
Back