Speed Hunters Project Yankee at SEMA-- 1975 Dart Sport!

-
well, i figured it would get poke some fun at this thing
(nothing personal to you, unless you build the car)

but this car has been around for a while
ive voiced my dislike of it before and just didnt feel like outlining why i think it looks like a turd, so i thought why not look on the bright side...they could have ruined a desirable car

the strange thing is, the renderings Dave posted look great to me, but this one, blah

From a guy that thinks N50's hanging 3" out of the quarter on a jacked up 4x4 ride height duster is a good look. :realcrazy:

From a guy that thinks N50's hanging 3" out of the quarter on a jacked up 4x4 ride height duster is a good look. :realcrazy:

I'll sell em to you, so you can retire those pizza cutters your running now
:poke:

This will not be to everyone's taste...and while I'm totally blown away by this project, there are a few things that make me cringe a bit. Nevertheless, the skill and style that went into this project car are totally worth a look.

While I'm a muscle car nut first and foremost, I am also a fan of some of the tricks and style that our car-loving counterparts in Japan enjoy...this car uses a bit of each world.

Project Yankee - Archives Speedhunters

What do you guys think?

View attachment 1714999386
I think the oil cooler mounting spot is stupid! Mirror mounting spot is stupid. The wheels are OK. It is more of a gross color clash more than anything.
Kind of digging everything else.

...why not look on the bright side...they could have ruined a desirable car

Just keep poking until someone takes the bait.

Say what? Maybe you are just that oblivious!

Trolling seems relatively rare on the forabody forums. I am grateful for that!

I think the oil cooler mounting spot is stupid! Mirror mounting spot is stupid. The wheels are OK. It is more of a gross color clash more than anything.
Kind of digging everything else.

While I love this car, I don’t disagree with these points at all. The fender mounted mirrors is a JDM look that’s not for me but I see what he was going for. The bumper mounted oil cooler was also an odd choice.

Color clash...I see what you’re getting at but it has grown on me.

So I gather that Mopar donated that 5.7 but would it have been any more difficult to run the 6.4L?

The engine was a junk yard find thing. I don't think "MoPar", "donated" anything.

Say what? Maybe you are just that oblivious!

maybe you're the one who isnt full aware of the situation?

i thought me and li'l boy blu had an understanding where we both love mopars, but neither one of us likes the other guys taste
perhaps, im picking on him in the same way i would pick on UofM fans (in fact there are a few UofM fans at my church, i tell them that the difference between salvation and sanctification)

at any rate, it dont mean i dislike the guy, or dismiss his knowledge on the subject...it simply means im riling on him
(if you notice the " :poke: " under my statement? that means you got to picture me saying it with a grin on my face)

While I love this car, I don’t disagree with these points at all. The fender mounted mirrors is a JDM look that’s not for me but I see what he was going for. The bumper mounted oil cooler was also an odd choice.

Color clash...I see what you’re getting at but it has grown on me.

So I gather that Mopar donated that 5.7 but would it have been any more difficult to run the 6.4L?

Actually, the fender mount mirrors may be a tuner thing now, but they started with British rally cars (or maybe earlier, but the brit rally cars pre-date the JDM stuff). Just like the extra lights. Like most things JDM, they were blatantly copied from the Brits when the Japanese sports cars were starting out in the late 60's. And while I don't like the look of the fender mounted mirrors on the brit, JDM or the project yankee car, as I mentioned above I know for a fact you get better visibility with them. That's why they put them there for the rally cars to begin with.
DHJ.jpg

For the 6.4 it wouldn't be any harder to put it in the car, but I think you'd need the ECU controller that Ma Mopar sells now for like $1,500 to make the 6.4 run. Mopar Performance 77072454AB The 5.7's have more options for controllers, or even going mechanical with a carb on some of them.

Yeah ok. The 295 "pizza cutters" I'm running are 11.1" wide at the tread. So let's see...

This set of N50's are 11.3" wide at the tread, but they're replica hockey pucks so less traction anyway
Coker Pro-Trac Tires 72146

And this set of N50's that might actually put power to the ground are only 11" wide at the tread. Hmmm....
M&H Racemaster Muscle Car Drag Tires MSS-006

i thought me and li'l boy blu had an understanding where we both love mopars, but neither one of us likes the other guys taste
perhaps, im picking on him in the same way i would pick on UofM fans (in fact there are a few UofM fans at my church, i tell them that the difference between salvation and sanctification)

at any rate, it dont mean i dislike the guy, or dismiss his knowledge on the subject...it simply means im riling on him
(if you notice the " :poke: " under my statement? that means you got to picture me saying it with a grin on my face)

Yeah I know, but you know what? You don't have to put your opinion in every thread the comes up. It gets old. We're all aware we don't agree on this stuff.

It would be great if this thread could go back to discussing some of the modifications on the Project Yankee car without some stuck in the '70's opinion on what it looks like every 3 posts

As for Project Yankee, it's quite understated compared to what Ma-Mopar herself did to make the Dart road-race ready.

View attachment 1715097366
@72bluNblu, since I consider you the go-to-guy (or at least one of the them) when it comes to the factory type suspension, what would be your recommendation to get the stance/tires sticking out this far on a Duster? I have a 75 shell sitting at dads that I'm seriously thinking about putting like 305s or 315s on all 4 corners to where the tires stick out sorta like these cars but then I'd install fender flares sorta like the new widebody challengers.
Just use the factory setup up front with wide, deep dished wheels?

@72bluNblu, since I consider you the go-to-guy (or at least one of the them) when it comes to the factory type suspension, what would be your recommendation to get the stance/tires sticking out this far on a Duster? I have a 75 shell sitting at dads that I'm seriously thinking about putting like 305s or 315s on all 4 corners to where the tires stick out sorta like these cars but then I'd install fender flares sorta like the new widebody challengers.
Just use the factory setup up front with wide, deep dished wheels?

Wouldn't be hard to do with 315's, they'd stick out that far. With the 73+ disks you'd need an 18x11 with a +6 offset (6.2" backspace) and 315/30/18's. That should clear the frame, and they'd stick out about 1.6" further out than my 275's, so, more than an inch outside the fenders considering the clearance I have. I suppose you could just make it a nice even 0 offset and 6" backspace, that would put them out a good 2" past mine or about an inch and half past the fenders. Once you're out past the fenders it doesn't much matter anymore. If you ran a 68-70 B body rear axle you could run the same exact rims/tires in the back, that axle is pretty much square with a 73+ disk set up. Then you'd need a 2" wide flare (minimum).

Thing is, you'd have to cut the fenders too, similar to the Petty car (maybe not quite that much). No different than hanging the tires out past the quarters on the 70's street freak style drag cars. Once the tires are out past the body, you have to make sure the body and the tires never occupy the same space. So, you either raise the car up (like the street freaks with the crazy lifted rears), or you have to cut the body back. Whatever suspension travel you have is how much you'd need to cut out. So, that would mean cutting a couple inches of fender out all the way around the tire, to make sure the tire never hit the fender on turning or with suspension compression. Then you'd put the flares on, making sure the flares were wide enough to cover whatever amount of tire you added, plus clearance just like for the fenders.

Of course, with the flares you'd have nowhere to rest your foot...
efec1ca2888a5c66767e84185b7c7d0b--king-richard-richard-petty.jpg

Like the "Fish Tail" drift car, except you'd need bigger flares up front and you'd lose more fender than that
001_SEMA-2016-HRD-HOT-ROD-Garage-Fishtail.jpg

Here are some fender flares on a 79 magnum I looked at the other day, just to give you some ideas (it needs rims and tires of course)

20171005_182914.jpg

20171005_182903.jpg

-
Back