speedmaster CNC 408 what cam

-

dogbreath

Reaction score
Putting the speedmaster cnc heads on my 11-1 408 shortblock . Will run a solid flat with edm lifters a super victor or the new trick flow intake and will be in a #2800 valiant w/4.10 spool , low gear 904 , 3500 turbo action and 1-5/8 x 1-3/4 ttiś , Looking hard at the mp .590 , lunati 582/582 or the howards 555/562 . Tough choice as I want to run pump gas 92-93 , what say you???

I am using a Lunati cam #60432 in my 408. It is a street driven car

I’d say your choking the **** out of your engine with those heads on top that many cubes.

Don’t read that as an insult but an honest telling.

I’m a tinkerer and I say just pick the cam that you think best fits and let’er rip. Enjoy! Looking forward to the results. Don’t be shy about it.

If you’re really only going to have a flash stall speed of 3500...... all the cams you listed are too much duration imo.

Build the motor first...... get the correct converter to go with it.

I did a 416 a few years ago with a similarly sized cam to what you’ve listed.
The converter that went with it was 5000 stall.

I run the mp.590 on my 414. Has non-cnc speedmaster heads, 1 5/8 headers, m1 and similar compression. 4.56 gears (that are to much for 1/4 mile) and a converter that flashes around 4800. Runs 11.35 hitting rev limiter about 200ft before the stripe.

Needs tuned a lot more. Also needs better header's and head's ported and I would think it should go 10's.

I bought the car as a roller . Previous owner had an eddie headed 408 with the mp.557 solid in it with the same trans , converter , rear and headers and went 10.80 at 124. He simply pulled the motor and I got it with everything else. I dropped in a mild 360 that I had laying around and first run went 12.52 at 110. Had some carb issues that I have since ironed out but won´t go back to tnt until january. Should run low 12 , high 11 . Stroker motor is a ways out but I couldn´t pass up the bf speedmaster deal , so i´m still planning , had trick flows on my mind but once again couldn´t pass up a deal.

The price was certainly good!
Use them and go for it. It’ll run.

I’d say your choking the **** out of your engine with those heads on top that many cubes.
Don’t read that as an insult but an honest telling.
I’m a tinkerer and I say just pick the cam that you think best fits and let’er rip.
The flow numbers of the CNC versions (at least those being posted) would be choking the **** out of a 408? ****, my 410 must be borderline asphyxiated. with my 1.92 intake valved EQ's.!! I'm thinking akin to breathing through a coffee stirrer!! :eek:

The flow numbers of the CNC versions (at least those being posted) would be choking the **** out of a 408? ****, my 410 must be borderline asphyxiated. with my 1.92 intake valved EQ's.!! I'm thinking akin to breathing through a coffee stirrer!! :eek:

And I stand by that (however, perhaps overstated) and if you also thoroughly read, I said it’ll run.
:thumbsup:
Look at his combo closely. He’ll run the time. With a converter adjustment it should be in the bag. Now look at the cams being looked at. A little big?

And I stand by that (however, perhaps overstated) and if you also thoroughly read, I said it’ll run.
:thumbsup:
Look at his combo closely. He’ll run the time. With a converter adjustment it should be in the bag. Now look at the cams being looked at. A little big?
Gotcha:).Out of the three cams listed I'd go with the Howards and definately more converter. 3500 not near enough. That's coming from a guy running a baby csm with a 3500

How about the pump gas issue ? OK or not ? My iron head (RHS) 360 is fine at 10 to 1

what did ou say usage was
how often do you want to change springs, freshen the motor :)
you want to run big pushrods
what rockers and B3 kit if roller tips
fill this out no matter what grinder you talk with
Mike will tell you what you need to do to make that compression work with that octane
easy on the strip as you can always stay above your torque BMEP rev range
not so on the street'if this build is strip only use the Drag Race form
Street Performance | Jones Cams

Get the cam made for the 903 lifters....I think Howard's has two. They mention it in the catalog description.

Yes it makes a difference.

Or ask Mike Jones...a little more $$$ ($230 I believe) but his stuff is very good. I plan on ordering from him after PRI.

Street strip car that goes to tnt to tune and maybe a little gamblers or grudge. Fresh motor should last me a long time . Have quite a few sets of rockers to try like old comp magnums , crane gold , PRW and early hughes aluminum , even 273 if i had to all 1.5 ratio , I´ll see which fits best and correct as needed . Then good pushrods from smith. I talked to b3 at carlisle and looked over the trick flows and his correction kit , very nice stuff .

903 lifters ? are they the edm or solid roller ?? bb chevy ? have not seen a solid ft 903 lifter

Last edited:
903-904 face dia lifters are MOPAR solid, mushroom, hyd, hyd rolller, solid roller
many variations of solids have been made over the years
standard, chilled iron, hardface overlay, tool steel etc
edm oiling is relatively new but a great idea
or you can grind a flat on the side of the lifter as in a v6-229 chevy or some buicks see a pic in a lifter catalog- easy to do and can be more easily done on a hyd than edm
ford lifters are .875 and lots of solid development due to NASCAR use
Chevies are .842
but base circle also makes a difference

i had a W5 headed stroker( 422)
Even the W5 heads are small for a 4 inch stroke motor.
Eddies, W2/ W5 all that stuff was designed for stock stroke engines.
Will it work.... sure

i had a W5 headed stroker( 422)
Even the W5 heads are small for a 4 inch stroke motor.
Eddies, W2/ W5 all that stuff was designed for stock stroke engines.
Will it work.... sure
Oh, I know. Believe me. Was purely a response to Rumbles admitted "overstatement" and my attempt at injecting humor/sarcasm. Running the times I'm running with my very aero setup and very small parts hell yeah it works. But now it's time to step up to some TF's! Should help things in my case just a smidge :)

Last edited:
:lol::thumbsup:
Oh, I know. Believe me. Was purely a response to Rumbles admitted "overstatement" and my attempt at injecting humor/sarcasm. Running the times I'm running with my very aero setup and very small parts hell yeah it works. But now it's time to step up to some TF's! Should help things in my case just a smidge :)

-
Back