Speedmaster head stud torque specs?

-
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody knows what they call for on the torque spec with their alum heads? Tried calling and emailing with no response. No instructions with box.
Part # PCE279.1017

Are you using 30w oil or a lube like ARP? There is a difference depending on which you use. Look at ARP's directions.

Just received some promaxx 171 sb heads their saying 80 psi seems a bit light on

It is confusing. These are 1/2" diam, fine thread I assume. ARP specs 110 ft/lbs with their lube for this thread.
A stud girdle I bought talks about ARP studs in the instruction sheet, same studs as above. It specs 90, not 110. Every ARP bolt or stud I have used have the ARP logo on them.
These studs have no logo.....which makes me wonder if they are 'Chinese' ARP studs, which might account for the lower tq setting because the quality is poorer.

You might want to lightly sand the back of the washer that’s up against the cylinder head. I found while I was tightening the nuts on my head studs the washer was spinning acting like a bearing giving a false torque reading, which would be tighter than it actually is reading on the torque wrench.

I probably got 4 sets of the sm studs in use. I torqued to 110 with arp paste
With paste on both sides of the washer.

These are engines that are running not collecting dust or getting their picture taken on the engine stand. I have 4 spares with sm studs too.

I torqued my ARP studs with trickflows at 100 ft lbs. ARP LUBE. After the engine break in cycle, I retorqued them again.
Felpro # 1008 head gaskets

AL heads require less torque than iron heads on iron blocks because the thermal expansion on a AL head is >1.5x that of iron. Chevy 454 al head iron block combo only sPec 85 Ft/lbs on their Gen V1 Al head bolts. I can't imagine the ARP website doesn't have more detailed Al/Fe combo specs on their studs as they are used in different applications. Edel specs 95ft lbs on their Al 340 heads. Check the specs on the ARP LA stud package against the Edelbrock recommended ARP kit that has the longer oiler bolt. If they are the same, someone was lazy. They also spec a different head gasket for an AL head on iron but thats outside this post. Also consider when you retorque your head bolts, you are technically "reusing" them and they may be TTY bolts that require you to replace. Modern gaskets do not need retorquing. Save your head bolts! Studs are a little more forgiving but have the luxury of being able to be measured before installation and compared to after removal. If it has stretched from new by .01, toss em. Better Rod bolts (with a faced dimple for guage) can be measured for recommended stretch while installed.

Last edited:
-
Back