Speedmaster intake manifold

-

sam69sat

Reaction score
Against recommendations, i purchased a speedmaster small block mopar intake during their Black Friday sale. I had hopes that i'd get a decent one. Seemed alright until i looked at the ports and tried to overlay them with a gasket. I expected them to be somewhat uniform (not perfect) but what i got was one with staggered ports and a couple banana shaped ports. Is that the norm for these? My contact with speedmaster wasn't the best. First, the guy that answered my call could only muster a rude sounding "hello". Not very professional for a business. He asked what was wrong and said to send pics. That was it. Emailed pics and asked if they could "replace" it with a different one. What i received was a return label and a return authorization for my payment. No other text or messages. Emailed two more times to ask if they would honor a replacement and crickets. I think they're ghosting me because the don't want to replace it or want me to order a new one at full price. Would you guys accept this intake or am i just being a whiny little *****?

:lol:

banana-port.jpg

staggered-ports.jpg

That looks horrible. I'd return it and get a better quality one even if more expensive.

That looks horrible. I'd return it and get a better quality one even if more expensive.

Thanks. It's definitely going back. I'm guessing if they replaced, it would probably be the same quality. That's what i get for trying to save some dough!

It's probably very usable and what the heck were you expecting from a 1/2 price Chinese intake...
I got one on the stroker in my truck and it works fine....

The old LD4B's used to have that mismatch port thing too.

Don't forget to tell him the run around you got trying to get your money back...
What he should do is like everybody else buy them on half price sale and wait till the spring and sell for a profit...

It's probably very usable and what the heck were you expecting from a 1/2 price Chinese intake...

I guess i was thinking the ports would be more uniform. I had higher expectations for a normally $300 dollar intake.

meh. i'd probably lay up the gasket and see how close it is to what i wanted it to be and if there wasn't enough "port shift" to worry about and all the other critical stuff spec'd out i'd just carve out what i wanted and run it.

chances are the next one is just as bad after jumping thru hoops and waiting on it.

Look like the cast has seen better days

The LD4Bs had that shift. Lay a new 318 intake gasket on there and port match them, all better.

Screenshot_20231224-212652_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231224-212731_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231224-212455_Firefox.jpg

s-l1600(1).jpg

And especially want to gasket match/port match the heads to the gaskets.

20230214_160110.jpg

These are the 318 intake gaskets laying on 360 heads, but you get the idea.

Screenshot_20231224-214135_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
The intake is fine for a daily driver or hot rod. And if you're trying to make serious horsepower you shouldn't be looking at this anyways..

Exactly! You obviously are not using for every ounce of horsepower or you would've bought a better intake. Gasket match and use it. I bought one for sbc a couple years ago and it looked the same, worked fine.

i purchased a speedmaster small block mopar intake during their Black Friday sale.
Did you get the Chinese gasket too, are you sure the port openings on the gasket are in the right place. lol

I've used two of these, and have another new one in the box. I did nothing but bolt them on and they have worked great. No leaks, no complaints from me.

$300 is still one of the cheapest mopar intakes available..
So, it's normally $300? Then the price for bf was probably around $160-180?
Got a lot of manifold for $160, in my opinion.
( I will say that manifold is quite a bit worse than the speedmaster single plane bbc manifold I have. But even the big names, like my Eddie, can have quality control problems.)

20210202_112136.jpg

20210202_112130.jpg

Last edited:
Besides the two pics above, (the third,one wouldn't print) this manifold has such bad core shift, the carb throats aren't round, and there is a shelf in the passenger side ports that will need to be blended out.
Just part of improving what's there, basic hot rodding.

I get that the intake will probably work. It just bugs me the gasket is going to be blocking sections of the port. I read it was bad when the intake port is bigger than the port on the head. I have a felpro 5.9 magnum gasket and an old 318 metal gasket. I plan on using this on a yet to be had 5.9.

When the magnum gasket is overlayed, these two ports are shifted to the right about 1/8 which makes the banana shaped gap even larger. I'd say the gap is around 3/16 or so when the gasket is on.

banana-port2.jpg

Use these intake manifold gaskets for the 360s.

Screenshot_20231225-114816_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20231225-114834_Firefox.jpg

Good ^^^ reliable seller too.
Ebay

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back