Speedmaster/Pro comp Heads..

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Wow...these started out around 300 bucks...now at 668 dollars each bare....

What a deal...LOL

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Chrysler-SB-318-340-360-190cc-68cc-Full-CNC-Bare-Alum-Cylinder-Head-/171403758976?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e875cd80"]Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 190cc 68cc Full CNC Bare Alum Cylinder Head | eBay[/ame]

Might as while buy a set of prepped ones,or Eddy's. At least those are known to work well.

WOW...thats crazy if thats for 1 head only!

Took them a few months to figure out it is easy to screw Mopar guys with high prices..

Funny you brought that up. I read the other recent thread about these heads and was very interested. This is a little long winded, but had to share.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=272250&highlight=procomp+speedmaster
As stated the "combo kit" the op scored was no longer on their web site. So I looked a little harder(There site is about as unfriendly and slow as it gets) and found this. They had bare, non CNC heads listed each @ $520. They also had complete, CNC'd & assembled heads for, yup $520. I called them on it.(another PITA) I got a sales man and he said that was correct pricing and they had them in stock. I said I want a pair of the assembled and free shipping as advertised on their site. He said he would send me a quote. He did. $1040 to the door. OK Lets do this. I emailed, said send invoice......no response. I called, said send invoice...left message. No reply. Of course this was last Friday. In the meantime I go back to the site to see if I can just buy them online. If the online price was a mistake, I wanted to get them before they corrected it. Why not. I had a quote from them as well that was good for 21 days but I just wanted to be done with the order before the funds went away. (say "wife") They were pulled from their site! Could only find the bare ones. Monday I look at there site again and now they have a pair of complete, CNC'd & assembled heads for $1500+?? I figured they caught the pricing problem. I start the calling again. Can't get the sales man that sent me the quote to reply, so I went with the customer service option. Got a sales man, gave him the quote #, and gave him my card # and said again, "make it happen". I then emailed the original sales man and told him I gave my card # to such & such and he was going to take care of the order. He responded to me in like 30 seconds or less asking "Who did you talk to!" I emailed back and told him. Now I wait & wait & wait to see the funds come out of my bank or a receipt in my email . Nothing as of Mon. night. Tuesday, I'm ready to read someone the riot act but I wait. Finally I get a call from their shipping person. Says they're ready to go and want03s to verify my shipping addy. He was the most informative guy in the bunch. Tells me the assm. & CNC'd heads are built to order. Tells me most want bare heads to do themselves, so that's all they stock. Makes sense. Says that the CNC work, valve job and assembly is done just down the road from them in CA. If that's the case fine, and I hope it is but for Gods sake someone needed to tell me this up front and not that they were "IN STOCK, READY TO SHIP". They will be here tomorrow. I hope they are as nice as the ones in the other thread. As of yesterday they only had the cast irons offered. Holy crap shoot Bat Man!
Larry :glasses7:

Funny you brought that up. I read the other recent thread about these heads and was very interested. This is a little long winded, but had to share.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=272250&highlight=procomp+speedmaster
As stated the "combo kit" the op scored was no longer on their web site. So I looked a little harder(There site is about as unfriendly and slow as it gets) and found this. They had bare, non CNC heads listed each @ $520. They also had complete, CNC'd & assembled heads for, yup $520. I called them on it.(another PITA) I got a sales man and he said that was correct pricing and they had them in stock. I said I want a pair of the assembled and free shipping as advertised on their site. He said he would send me a quote. He did. $1040 to the door. OK Lets do this. I emailed, said send invoice......no response. I called, said send invoice...left message. No reply. Of course this was last Friday. In the meantime I go back to the site to see if I can just buy them online. If the online price was a mistake, I wanted to get them before they corrected it. Why not. I had a quote from them as well that was good for 21 days but I just wanted to be done with the order before the funds went away. (say "wife") They were pulled from their site! Could only find the bare ones. Monday I look at there site again and now they have a pair of complete, CNC'd & assembled heads for $1500+?? I figured they caught the pricing problem. I start the calling again. Can't get the sales man that sent me the quote to reply, so I went with the customer service option. Got a sales man, gave him the quote #, and gave him my card # and said again, "make it happen". I then emailed the original sales man and told him I gave my card # to such & such and he was going to take care of the order. He responded to me in like 30 seconds or less asking "Who did you talk to!" I emailed back and told him. Now I wait & wait & wait to see the funds come out of my bank or a receipt in my email . Nothing as of Mon. night. Tuesday, I'm ready to read someone the riot act but I wait. Finally I get a call from their shipping person. Says they're ready to go and want03s to verify my shipping addy. He was the most informative guy in the bunch. Tells me the assm. & CNC'd heads are built to order. Tells me most want bare heads to do themselves, so that's all they stock. Makes sense. Says that the CNC work, valve job and assembly is done just down the road from them in CA. If that's the case fine, and I hope it is but for Gods sake someone needed to tell me this up front and not that they were "IN STOCK, READY TO SHIP". They will be here tomorrow. I hope they are as nice as the ones in the other thread. As of yesterday they only had the cast irons offered. Holy crap shoot Bat Man!

Damn, talk about giving you the runaround! Did you check to make sure your card was charged for the original quoted price?

I did. They ran the card after they verified my addy. $1040. Got the UPS tracking info seconds after I got off the phone with the shipping guy. Apparently they are going through some growing pains with 30 employee's and some HUGE facility with a ton of parts. I would like to think that is the case. They need to get there **** together if they plan to make it. Little to no consistency isn't going to cut it.

I did. They ran the card after they verified my addy. $1040. Got the UPS tracking info seconds after I got off the phone with the shipping guy. Apparently they are going through some growing pains with 30 employee's and some HUGE facility with a ton of parts. I would like to think that is the case. They need to get there **** together if they plan to make it. Little to no consistency isn't going to cut it.

Nice, atleast you got a deal!

I just tracked them into Utah, so I will see them tomorrow.
I hope it IS a deal! I will post some photos when in hand.
Larry:glasses7:

Can't wait to see what you get , hope the heads are good !

Got my new heads and so far I'm very happy with the way they look. Very clean and nice port work. All holes are heli-coiled except the valve cover holes. First quick check and the installed spring height looks like about 1.80 or so. I send them out to the machine shop today and we'll go from there. I'll let you know what they say and what all they do.

Attachments

• Aug 14 001.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,108
  • Aug 14 008.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Aug 14 007.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Aug 14 006.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Aug 14 004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Aug 14 002.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,047
I can tell you after building a LOT of these, they need a serious hand blend from the CNC porting, a .005" mill to make them flat and true and possibly a few guides. Im not sure on the valve job they have done, but im sure its not the 5 angle one that we do plus the back-cut on the intake.

The Procomp springs are right out of China and they would be the first to go if you are running a good cam with a lot of velocity.

Also pay close attention to the web between the intake ports right under the valve cover bolt, the CNC breaks thru at this spot, same with the RPM heads.

We get ours bare and build them from the ground up and have made over 600HP with them.

Thanks for the heads up Mike! (no pun intended) I will look them over more today and wait to send them out. I figured on the springs from what I've read. I am using a Lunati VDSCR-279 with this .030+ 340. Lunati calls for 100#s @ 1.65 IH which seems light, but it's there cam. What would you recommend for springs? Quick check was about 1.80 IH on these Procomps as they sit. So I know they need attention.
Thanks again,

Well..they have not corrected their website....complete cnc heads for 520....

I can tell you after building a LOT of these, they need a serious hand blend from the CNC porting, a .005" mill to make them flat and true and possibly a few guides. Im not sure on the valve job they have done, but im sure its not the 5 angle one that we do plus the back-cut on the intake.

The Procomp springs are right out of China and they would be the first to go if you are running a good cam with a lot of velocity.

Also pay close attention to the web between the intake ports right under the valve cover bolt, the CNC breaks thru at this spot, same with the RPM heads.

We get ours bare and build them from the ground up and have made over 600HP with them.
Sure as ****! Four spots where the machining went too far and into the VC bolt holes. I could brake through into the VC bolt hole with a tooth pick it's so thin!:banghead: So much for a DEAL! It's up to them(Procomp)now to correct the situation. Call was made and photos sent. Sunabich! Should I get them to replace them? Maybe get bare ones and do as Mike and go ground up? I will wait to hear from them. Bummed!
Larry

Attachments

• procomp 005.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 1,040
  • procomp 006.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,007
  • procomp 011.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 1,015
  • procomp 012.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 948
  • procomp 013.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 977
Um - that happens all the time even on max ported iron heads. Screw a bolt in there and forget about it...

Um - that happens all the time even on max ported iron heads. Screw a bolt in there and forget about it...
I know I could use them. A little pipe dope on the threads, maybe silly-cone or even epoxy in studs. The point is I paid for their CNCing, on new heads. Not scratch and dent, day old fixer-uppers! If they said "may need some repairs" I prob. would not have bought. I am not rushing through this and taking my time so if it takes another week for them to get it right, I'm ok. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'm wrong. I feel like they and you-all needed to know and see this. I lost some confidence with Procomp, but didn't have much to start with. Hope they step up to the plate.

yep, my buddy had a set of X heads just like that. we used studs for the valve covers and put a little Teflon paste on them to seal them up. Never had a problem.

The next set will just do the same thing or break through more. Production Ford 429 SCJ Heads (and aftermarket) do the same thing, but on the very top of the port.

Just make sure its sealed.

The next set will just do the same thing or break through more. Production Ford 429 SCJ Heads (and aftermarket) do the same thing, but on the very top of the port.

Just make sure its sealed.
Thanks Dano. I guess I shouldn't sweat it. I just felt like if this was a know issue with this head, they would be up front about it. I would think a good machinist would have seen this and at least stated it. Finding it after the fact just sucks!.. and my ignorance is more to blame I guess.
Should I just keep them or wait for them to send me another set of the same? Hell at this point I just don't know??????

-
Back