Speedmaster Small block porting tips and results Part 1

-
While it's fascinating to read I believe it to be for the 1% tile...
I think you have a point to a point.
The do it yourselfer and the curious that may want to try this will find this a really good source of not what to do and where to do it but also how to go about it. The key thing here is the flow bench and the air speed probe to find, show and tell you what was good and bad about what your doing. Since it is that Pittsburghracer has experience in this area, and he makes really good sense of what you should be doing and looking for, it becomes an excellent tutorial.

Maybe in retirement when I have loads of time I’ll jump into this venture.

Well no crap! LOL... So I guess for us Unknowing tightwad Cheapskates who had a set of these sent to our house loaded for $700 if we mailed these off to some Guru and he charged this ungodly amounts absolutely doubling the amount without question what would be really gain at the track?.. I mean they were completely budget-minded in the first place correct? I mean why wouldn't a guy just by Trick flows and be done with it or shockers??. I mean really the normal guy buying Speedmaster isn't trying to set the world on fire with $700... I mean if you were going to spend $1, 500 you would have probably just got the Shockers.. and if you were going to spend 2502 3K you would get the trick flows...
The one place that I called about these heads and having them checked out they said the seats were junk and the valve guides were junk and that would be $800.. that's not even porting them or a nice valve job or anything that's just fixing them according to their phone call...
Condensing things, for the initial $$$ outlay, work required for desired results, shop work and additional $$$ in most cases you at least described my scenario. Still would like to try what’s being presented here on some heads someday. Good reading and info regardless.

While it's fascinating to read I believe it to be for the 1% tile...

Not necessarily. A Home porter could take the above info, do it, and have an idea where his head would measure up. The average person doesn’t look into a port and notice the common wall tilts in as it gets closer to the shortside, the floor tilts up as it gets closer, the roof tilts down as it gets closer. If I can help a guy see this and show him or her how to address it maybe guys won’t be afraid to try porting. Who knows they may get the bug like I did and build their own flowbench too. Porting is becoming a lost art and someone may be the next guy to design a cnc program.

I honestly think that the OOTB head isn’t a bad deal and flows just fine for the price. It shows an easy 47 cfm gain on an average 360 head. The best I have seen reported from a 340 X head was 220 cfm at peak. That gives these heads a 27 cfm advantage.

With my basic layman’s math above, this loosely translates into a 54 hp gain over a stock head IF your looking to take advantage of the heads flow abilities.
If you went a little nutty on compression and cam and etc.... you know the drill and direction I’m going in, I would not be surprised to find a 70 hp gain on the race oriented engine.

Not necessarily. A Home porter could take the above info, do it, and have an idea where his head would measure up. The average person doesn’t look into a port and notice the common wall tilts in as it gets closer to the shortside, the floor tilts up as it gets closer, the roof tilts down as it gets closer. If I can help a guy see this and show him or her how to address it maybe guys won’t be afraid to try porting. Who knows they may get the bug like I did and build their own flowbench too. Porting is becoming a lost art and someone may be the next guy to design a cnc program.
I did home porting on my current heads with some guidance from my machine shop... It was the messiest nightmare I have never put myself through with this car LOL... Days of grinding in metal bits flying everywhere and all over my garage... With products like trick flow available now I can see why the art is being lost.. the stuff is already being built into the heads..
I'm a quick learner and I don't really understand a lot of that but the things that make sense.. like common wall sounds like the wall between two ports? I assume the floor is the bottom part and the ceiling is the top part if the head was theoretically on.. the short turn and the long turn are a little blurry... But if there was an arrow pointing to it on a picture I wouldn't have to be told twice...
after days and days of grinding in my heads I'm still not sure what I got out of it except for a very dirty garage a lot of dirty clothes and lung full of metal dust..
I was sure the first thing someone was going to say was it depended on what car and what do you use was and stuff like that for a side-by-side test....
I can assure you from the standpoint of the common Cheapskate hot rodder who paid $700 for these would really like to know what kind of bang for their Buck they're going to get.. and if that's their budget for heads what's going to make them by all this equipment and start experimenting...

Are the points you are talk'n about causing turbulence or are you shooting for volume?

Are the points you are talk'n about causing turbulence or are you shooting for volume?

Let’s take a step back for a second. Brett Miller an East Coast Head porter just did a small block Mopar Super Stock Edelbrock post on his Facebook group. Their is one legal Head from Edelbrock for this class and can be seen on Summits website. Now you can take that head and modify it but it still has to come in with an under 170 cc runner. His welding buddy added several layers of weld on the floor of the runner so he could raise the port and move the rocker and pushrod over to improve air flow and still stay safely under 170cc. They also had to use a 2.02 intake valve. When finished they flowed around 280 cfm. Shape, runner cc, and valve size dictate turbulence and flow. The head he ported flowed around 40 cfm more than out of the box but that labor for staying within the Super Stock rules come at a cost. Someone asked him and he quoted a 10,000.00-12,000.00 price. I won’t post his pictures but please check out his work on Facebook. The shape of the exhaust port totally changed.

I honestly think that the OOTB head isn’t a bad deal and flows just fine for the price. It shows an easy 47 cfm gain on an average 360 head. The best I have seen reported from a 340 X head was 220 cfm at peak. That gives these heads a 27 cfm advantage.

With my basic layman’s math above, this loosely translates into a 54 hp gain over a stock head IF your looking to take advantage of the heads flow abilities.
If you went a little nutty on compression and cam and etc.... you know the drill and direction I’m going in, I would not be surprised to find a 70 hp gain on the race oriented engine.
Rumble your spot on! My personal experience using these heads over the last 4 years would be right in line with your statement. I ran X heads for 30 years with some Port work and very nice valves, :/- Speedmaster heads where a noticeable power advantage. But to
Buy a part take time, sweat, blood to modify it make it better is what hot rodding is all about sure there are better heads out there for more money but taking a lower-cost piece and building it to be equal or even surpass a so-called Superior piece well that's just awesome!

To the guys that say I will just grab a TrickFlow Head and have a great head without all the labor this is true. But for 40 years of my life we didn’t have that option so we had to make horsepower. I’m betting that even though the TrickFlow Head is cnc ported there is still 40 plus horsepower left on the table for those that know how to go after it.

Here’s what I’d like to see PBR do with this head......
After he has gone thru the step by step process and gotten an intake port completed to the level he is happy with..... I’d like to see him do another intake port in the same way...... only do it from start to finish more or less in one shot, and keep track of how long it took.
Then you’d get a better idea of what you could expect to pay a shop to duplicate that level of work.

Keep in mind he has done a number of these Ede type heads before, and already knows his way around these ports....... so how long it takes him to do the work would likely be less than someone who’s tackling a set of them for the first time...... even if they are experienced at porting heads.

Great info. I'm also curious about the time per port it took you to get where you are. When you're done with an exhaust port, can you please make a couple of posts with the numbers in the head flow spreadsheet thread, so i can add them and have a reference to link to.

Good job, more than I thought you were gonna put into'em. Ime with standard port heads It's always been a trade off of upper lift turbulence for the 280 number by.500 without tubes.
How small can you keep the port at 290cfm? Or another way of asking is where do you think it will end up? I would be stoked to see you surpass the cnc and fall in just below it in volume. Lol give'em the glove slap...lol

They did that to us recently too. Sucks.
How have yours held up?
The inner nut came loose on mine so I tightened it and nik'd the thread to keep from backing off. Handy as heck they are.

I think I paid like 13-15 dollars each for them so I now change them out once in awhile. I used to wait till I started getting shocked from me blowing transmission fluid and aluminum chips into them. Lol.

would the design of intake(SP,DP or TR)change the flow in different locations?

Yes. Intakes like a LD340 will knock a heads flowing over 300 to under 260 real quick. But it will come around some with a gasket match and plenum blend. A Victor340 ported will only drop 8-10 max if done right. An Indy intake I redrilled and ported actually took one of my highly modified Edelbrock heads from 315 to a very smooth 318-320. I haven’t tried this intake on an engine yet.

Brett Miller , is that his maroon 66 dart , if so I remember it from mason dixon , W7 motor i believe and ran 9.20´s in the 1/4 with a flat hood. Have not seen it for years i think he was going w9

Brett Miller , is that his maroon 66 dart , if so I remember it from mason dixon , W7 motor i believe and ran 9.20´s in the 1/4 with a flat hood. Have not seen it for years i think he was going w9

It’s a lot faster than that now with W8 or W9 heads. Lots of trick and expensive parts in his builds but they are still fun to watch.

would the design of intake(SP,DP or TR)change the flow in different locations?

I think you are asking the correct question. The answer is yes. That's why I never get too excited about certain things on a flow bench.

Adding an intake (the better the intake, the better the results) changes most everything.

-
Back