speedo cable 65/66 Dart 4-speed question

-

larryj

Reaction score
Need to replace a bad speedo cable in my '66 Dart (the end separated on the dash side). I have a '65 A833 4-speed out of a Dart. I've seen a lot of ones at local parts stores and online that say they fit, but aren't the same. Pulled one out of a '65 slant 6/auto Dart, not the same.

The only thing I've seen similar is an OEM advertised cable for about $150. Is there a cheaper one? Can the inner cable be replaced on a '65 setup with 4-speed (fitted into trans. with large o-ring)? The cable housing looks to be in good shape.

Mine looks like this:
SC659.jpg

A lot of threads and info on this topic but I couldn't find the one fitting my application. Any help is appreciated!

Need to replace a bad speedo cable in my '66 Dart (the end separated on the dash side). I have a '65 A833 4-speed out of a Dart. I've seen a lot of ones at local parts stores and online that say they fit, but aren't the same. Pulled one out of a '65 slant 6/auto Dart, not the same.

The only thing I've seen similar is an OEM advertised cable for about $150. Is there a cheaper one? Can the inner cable be replaced on a '65 setup with 4-speed (fitted into trans. with large o-ring)? The cable housing looks to be in good shape.

Mine looks like this:
View attachment 1715085582

A lot of threads and info on this topic but I couldn't find the one fitting my application. Any help is appreciated!
I purchased my speedo cable from Year One, I don't recall it being that expensive.

That speedometer cable is for 60-65 and as you have found is unique on the transmission end. A 65 slant/904 uses the same cable; if the car was a 65, then the transmission was either changed to a 66-later or it might have been a 66 Dart. As long as the outer cable is good, just install a new inner cable. $150 is a good starting price for a new cable for that type!

EDIT: If you're using a 65 833, that's the speedo cable you have to use.

Does yours screw on on both ends?
The reason why I asked is there might be a mismatch between speedo's and different trannys. Are there any place else that makes speedo cables?

That speedometer cable is for 60-65 and as you have found is unique on the transmission end. A 65 slant/904 uses the same cable; if the car was a 65, then the transmission was either changed to a 66-later or it might have been a 66 Dart. As long as the outer cable is good, just install a new inner cable. $150 is a good starting price for a new cable for that type!

EDIT: If you're using a 65 833, that's the speedo cable you have to use.
Thanks Dartman, it is definitely unique. The cable I pulled from a 65 slant 67/904 is different and incompatible with the one I currently have with the 4-speed. That came out of a '65 GT.

I just don't know if I can use a universal cable and cut it to fit my application.

The cable I pulled from a 65 slant 67/904 is different and incompatible with the one I currently have with the 4-speed. That came out of a '65 GT.

You say slant 67/904 - if the motor and transmission was from a 67 in a 65 GT, then the cable was definitely different and would have been a 66 & 67 cable which used a double nut on both ends. When a 66-later transmission is used in a 65-earlier car, the 66/67 cable must used so the speedometer end of the cable will screw on the speedometer.

I just don't know if I can use a universal cable and cut it to fit my application.

If replacing just the inner cable, yes, cut to fit. If you need the outer cable including the transmission end, it will either be used or that new one you referenced. A 'gotcha' is also the speedometer pinion gear! They are unique to the 65-earlier cables and are generally not easily found. I snag every pinion gear I can find. You might be better off locating a 66-up 833 which then you could use the 66/67 cable. Hope I haven't confused you. If you need more info, PM me with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

You should be able to replace just the shaft (cable) and use your original housing. The 1965 parts book list the shaft as part number 2426164. Same part number for all 1963-65 A bodies with 6 or 8 cylinder, manual or auto trans.
You used to be able to buy cut to length shaft kits and make your own. Don't know if these are sold anymore.

Mine looks like this:
View attachment 1715085582

The cable you show is for a 65 Down car/trans application. Does your driveshaft bolt to a flange on the trans, or does it slide into the trans? If it bolts on, it is a 65 down trans, and the cable you show should work.
If it slips in , the trans is a 66 up, and you need a cable for a 1966 car.
I'm fairly sure the 66 cable is ATP Y-804 (63 inches long) or ATP Y-803 (83 inches long).
If you need the 65 cable, as far as I know, it is not "readily" available, but you can replace just the inner cable, if the housing is good.

The cable you show is for a 65 Down car/trans application. Does your driveshaft bolt to a flange on the trans, or does it slide into the trans? If it bolts on, it is a 65 down trans, and the cable you show should work.
If it slips in , the trans is a 66 up, and you need a cable for a 1966 car.
I'm fairly sure the 66 cable is ATP Y-804 (63 inches long) or ATP Y-803 (83 inches long).
If you need the 65 cable, as far as I know, it is not "readily" available, but you can replace just the inner cable, if the housing is good.
The trans is not the slip-in yoke type. I mis-typed on the slant 6/904 (not 67/904). I pulled that cable from a 65 Dart but it was different.
Thanks for the confirmation on just replacing the inner cable. I wasn't sure if it was possible because I'm not sure how the end piece on the trans. comes apart - just need to pull it and take a look.
Anyone know what the length should be?

Thanks all for the replies!

Replacement, cut to length, inner cables are still available from NAPA for this application because if outer housing is good inner cable is same (except length) over many, many years. While it has been 3-4 years since I bought my new inner from NAPA it was only $27.

Make sure you lube the new inner cable to increase it's life. I use white lithium grease on these.

-
Back