Speedo problems

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
hey guys,my speedometer has been jumping around a lot so I pulled the cluster and removed it.The back was pretty dirty so I cleaned it up and used a light coat of oil on the moving parts.When I put it back the gauge still bounces and it's about 20-30 mph off,also when the car is completely stopped the gauge sits at 10 mph.Is there a way to fix this or do I need to try to find another speedo gauge?Thanks

hey guys,my speedometer has been jumping around a lot so I pulled the cluster and removed it.The back was pretty dirty so I cleaned it up and used a light coat of oil on the moving parts.When I put it back the gauge still bounces and it's about 20-30 mph off,also when the car is completely stopped the gauge sits at 10 mph.Is there a way to fix this or do I need to try to find another speedo gauge?Thanks

The bouncing is usually the cable, and sometimes lubing the inner metal strand fixes a jumpy needle. (but it could also be the gear in the trans stripping)
Being off and hanging at a spot other than zero is usually a deeper problem in the unit itself.
There is a calibration spring and little lever on the back of most of them and it comes loose from the unit frame so the spring to return it to zero can't.
I just fixed one like that with a small dab of RTV where it needed to stay.

If by chance you are not up to that kind of stuff you will need to replace it or send it off for repair.
I'm sure one of these guys can recommend the place that does them, but I can't recal the name.

i have a 1967 Barracuda that has the same jumping sped indicator that jumps +-10mph. How did you lube the inner strand speedo cable when it is incases in a plastic shield?

The bouncing is usually the cable, and sometimes lubing the inner metal strand fixes a jumpy needle. (but it could also be the gear in the trans stripping)
Being off and hanging at a spot other than zero is usually a deeper problem in the unit itself.
There is a calibration spring and little lever on the back of most of them and it comes loose from the unit frame so the spring to return it to zero can't.
I just fixed one like that with a small dab of RTV where it needed to stay.

If by chance you are not up to that kind of stuff you will need to replace it or send it off for repair.
I'm sure one of these guys can recommend the place that does them, but I can't recal the name.
I will check the cable,thanks for your help

i have a 1967 Barracuda that has the same jumping sped indicator that jumps +-10mph. How did you lube the inner strand speedo cable when it is incases in a plastic shield?

You have to pull the cable off the back of the speedometer and the inner wire comes out.
Lube it with a light grease (like lithium or white grease) as it goes back in, and twist it just a little during the last inch or so to seat it back into the plastic gear in the trans speedometer gear housing.
Clip it back on the speedometer and there ya go.
Doesn't mean that'll fix it, but it's the first and easiest thing to try.
Sometimes the cable has a kink in it and it'll bounce till you get that out of it or replace the center drive cable part with a new one.
Then there's always the option of a whole new cable.
I had to get a longer one for the OD trans and I was really surprised at how inexpensive they are.
Of course the new cable isn't as hefty as the OEM but it still works just fine.

try taking the cable out and grinding off just a hair from the end that goes into the trany and lube the cable with cable lube. The cables stretch over a period of time and bind in the housing.That is the way I would fix the bouncing speedo back in the 60s when we worked on Super Stocks and other bad *** cars. Trust me,it works and MoPar to ya

OK boys and girls... Grinding a little bit of length off the end of the cable might be a simple cure but... This spiral wound cable, wound opposite direction of applied forces, simply cannot "grow" in length.
The truth is, grease hardened with metallic wear debris packs the instruments input port. Same push on the instrument internals occurs. Harbor Freight has a 4 dollar set of hobby or jewelers files and there is a very small square file included. That file and some parts cleaner can clean and deburr the inside of that square drive and that end of the cable. We know we cant orient the square faces exactly the same as was before it was removed.
I never serviced 1 failed speedometer that wasn't damaged by forces applied at the input shaft.
About the worst thing one can do is replace a broken speedometer cable without cleaning the instrument input. It's like writing a death sentence for the instrument.
Even through the shaft bore assembly is nearly 2 inches long, It wont last forever. Nothing mechanical lasts forever.
Here's a tip, something to look for. We often see speedometers listed for sale here. When photographed, the instrument was leaning/resting on the end of the input shaft. OEM lengthwise travel clearance there was only .005 . This would not effect needle position. If the instrument is like new, one could lift and rest it in this position over and over again and never move the needle away from zero. So... Look at the pic. If the needle is standing at 5 mph, that instrument is well worn. At 7 mph or better, I won't buy it. That much linear wear suggests the bore clearance of .002 has increased also. Excessive bore wear is the worst condition since it allows rotating parts to collide. Result is severe needle bounce and eventual catastrophic failure.

Last edited:
-
Back