Speedo reads fast

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
My speedometer is reading 4/5 miles per hour faster than my GPS. According to every chart I have looked at with my set up of 3:91 gears with 26.6 inch rear tires I should use a 40T gear. So do I go to a 42 or 43 tooth gear ? Does anyone know the ratio of what one tooth makes in MPH ?

missing one key ingredient...4/5 miles fast at what speed?

have you seen this one? Says use a 38!
7390568-Speedogeartoothrequirements.jpg

question: How are you measuring your rear tire diameter? Dont take the size as the end all-be all tire height, use the distance from the ground to the spindle center and mult by 2. perhaps your rolling tire size is 26 even measuring the radial bulge.

Last edited:
I would try a 39 tooth, your a bit high on the 40 tooth, bet your right in there with a 39 tooth. I run a 3.91 with a 28.5 drag radial and a 35 tooth gear I'm within 1 mph

I would try a 39 tooth, your a bit high on the 40 tooth, bet your right in there with a 39 tooth. I run a 3.91 with a 28.5 drag radial and a 35 tooth gear I'm within 1 mph

I decided to go with a 38 tooth gear, hooked up the GPS and took it for a ride. I'm no longer 5 mph fast on the speedometer, now I'm 10 mph fast. WTF gives ?

If it’s reading fast you need it to turn slower, so you need a gear with MORE teeth not less.

-
Back