Speedometer cable issue

-

shortmort37

Reaction score
Every supplier I've searched offers a speedometer cable like the one from ATP Automotive (first attachment) - a twist nut on both the speedometer end and the transmission end. However, my '63 Valiant station wagon has a cable end as pictured in the second attachment. There's a lockdown retainer holding the transmission end in place. Where can I find such a cable?

Dan

Screenshot 2023-04-21 113730.JPG

IMG_1846.jpg

I googled your vehicle and speedometer cable. Then looked at photos. When I saw the right shape. Click, there it is.

I ended up buying the cable from Fowlie, and installed it after cleaning and lubricating. And it worked - up until 25 mph or so, when the speedometer needle started swinging wildly. It looks like I need to pull the speedometer and service it. It looks like this is something that can be done from the front of the dash - correct? Remove the four screws in the corner of the panel, and then remove from the panel itself?

Working on a speedometer head is much like working on clock. There are very small bronze bushing that shafts run in. When those bushings are worn enough, one rotating part kisses the other. I've seen the needle jump from zerro to 10mph before seeming to smooth out at certain speeds them begin really jumping.
There is another possible cause and cure... The cable shouldn't put any pressure on the instrument in any axis. The square port where the cable enters can be packed with old hardened grease and wear dust. Clean that square hole with parts cleaner and toothpicks so the cable end doesn't push on the spindle. Good luck with it.

Sounds like great advice! Thank you.

But, how do I remove it, to gain access to it? By removing the front panel? Or, do I need to remove it from the back, from under the dash?

4 screws hold the entire gauge bezel assembly in the dash. You'll pull the whole thing and take it apart to get to the instruments. Only things outside the housing are electrical connectors and input of speedometer head.
Disconnect the neg' battery cable first because the 2 large wires bolted onto the amp gauge are hot at all times.

-
Back