Speedometer cable

-

Davezilla

Reaction score
I am replacing the speedometer cable on a 1970 Duster. The replacement cable has a smaller threaded end than the original cable, so it will not screw onto the transmission. The car originally had a 904 trans, but was converted to a 727 trans several years ago. The auto parts store says that the cable is the same part number for a car with a 318 and 904 trans, or a car with a 340 and a 727 trans. Can anyone explain why there are two sizes, so I can try to find a cable that will fit?
Thanks

Depends on the year of the transmission I think. I went through that with mine. There are a bunch of different ones. A good parts guy can help you. I ordered three or four at oreilly before I found the right one. Did t use them, so I returned them. They are only about $10 or so.

Depends on the year of the transmission I think. I went through that with mine. There are a bunch of different ones. A good parts guy can help you. I ordered three or four at oreilly before I found the right one. Did t use them, so I returned them. They are only about $10 or so.

Oreilly said they do not even show a cable is available in their catalog. Advanced, and autozone said the same thing. Pep boys was the only place that even showed a cable was available. The weird thing is that the speedometer cable was not replaced when it was swapped from a 904 to a 727, so I would expect a correct replacement cable for a 1970 duster should fit. If anybody knows what year the size changed, then that would help a lot.

I forget the name of the cable manufacturer, but I looked through their catalog at oreilly and picked it out by sight. Didn’t look it up by car model. They sell the right one on eBay, but it cost like $80 and I wasnt going to pay that. I will look around tomorrow & see if I have a part number written down somewhere.

I just found this previous thread. I didn't see it before, because I was searching speedometer cable, and it is listed as speedo cable, so it didn't come up in my previous search. It gives some cable part numbers, but still doesn't answer the question about the two different thread sizes. I wonder if this is all just because the aftermarket cable manufacturer is building cables with the wrong size threaded end.
Speedo Cable Help Please

Rock auto lists 2 cables both the same and both listed for slant 6 and 340 All transmissions manual or automatic.

Either the cable you have is wrong or the spedo gear adaptor is wrong. Rock auto says the end should be 5/8" looks like even back to 67 same cable is spected for some applications. Up to 76 same basic info

Did more digging and it looks like there are two sizes on the trans end 5/8 and 7/8.

The link above was very helpfull

Last edited:
Back in the day they sold universal cable speedometer kits. The cable had a formed square on the trans end and was extra long on the other end. You would determine the length using the instruction sheet and grind it to length with a cutoff wheel. Then slide on the speedometer end piece and crimp it with the tool they supplied. They worked well and were cheap.

Back in the day they sold universal cable speedometer kits. The cable had a formed square on the trans end and was extra long on the other end. You would determine the length using the instruction sheet and grind it to length with a cutoff wheel. Then slide on the speedometer end piece and crimp it with the tool they supplied. They worked well and were cheap.

You can still get them. I JUST put one in my car last night.........but the speedometer is bad. LOL The cable works now though.

As far as I know, Chrysler has the only one the right length that fits.

Not cheap, but you can order one from your local Dodge dealer.

A-body speedo cable.JPG

ATP mfg lots of them, we had a problem with one of theirs thru Rock Auto being too long. Call ATP see what they say, OR like Alaskan says go to Dodge dealer. I get great deals(slightly above cost) at my Dosge store. Open up a cash acct with them. All MP performance stuff is discounted to me.

I appreciate all the replies. I think I can get a correct cable with the information that we have talked about, but now we need an answer about the two different sizes. Has anyone ever actually seen a transmission with the smaller 5/8 thread on the speedometer housing? I am starting to think that chrysler never even made it, but there are just a bunch of incorrectly built aftermarket cables out there. The other thread I mentioned earlier was started in 2012, and we are still running into this problem. I think it is time that we finally solve this problem.

I am sure someone out there has a bunch of speedo gear carriers ( don't know the correct term) and can shed some light on this. I'm thinking a carrier from the 80s or 90s or newer might be smaller

I bought my last speedo cable from NAPA. It fit like a glove.

Get in touch with Speedometer Solutions. I needed a cable for my 73 Dart with the 200-4R trans. They made one to the length I needed, with the end fittings I needed, and I even got a heat resistant sleeve on it, all for about $80.00. And they made it the day I ordered it. I'm sure they can help you.

Get in touch with Speedometer Solutions. I needed a cable for my 73 Dart with the 200-4R trans. They made one to the length I needed, with the end fittings I needed, and I even got a heat resistant sleeve on it, all for about $80.00. And they made it the day I ordered it. I'm sure they can help you.
Great tip there!

It has been several days, and nobody seems to have ever seen a Chrysler transmission with the smaller 5/8" thread that these replacement cables have. I think we can safely say that the Chrysler transmissions only came with 7/8" thread.

Found the one I bought. I had it on my car for a few months, then put a cruise control out of an 80s Chrysler so I didn’t need the cable anymore. It had the big nut on the trans end. You can have it if you want to pay shipping.

Hey Mike, I know this thread is old, but if you’re offer is still on the table I’ll pay the shipping and take that cable.

-
Back