Speedo Cable Help Please

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hi,

Just attempting to install a speedo cable (From Summit) in my 72 Duster (340/727) and found that the screw on fitting that mounts to the trans is smaller that the threaded piece it attaches to. :banghead:

Did the threaded fitting vary by year? By vehicle? I ordered the cable for a 1972 Duster 727. But I know this is not the original tranny because my car was originally a 4 speed/manual car. I was not able to find any identifying numbers to determine the actual year etc on my trans. Will post some pics later, but though I'd reach out to the FABO experts here in the mean time to see if anyone has experienced this situation. Hoping to determine what I cable I need to re-order.

Thanks all,
Pat

It MIGHT be helpful if you posted the part no. you ordered???

bOb shingler & 67Dart273, I appreciate your replies...I know I was a little vague with my inquiry. Here's a pic of the cable end vs "old one". (Car came without a speedo cable but appears that the old fitting is on the trans). Part number is ATP Y-881, bought it from Summit.

IMG_4455.jpg

Thanks again,
Pat

Well, been trying to figure out which danged speedo cable I need. Gonna try the ATP Y-819. This one is for 70-74 Challenger, 68-76 Charger, bunch of Full Sized Mopars & D'series pickups among other things. The screw-on fitting looks bigger than the Y-881 that I bought...but without knowing what vehicle my trans was pulled form, it's a crap shoot. Also, gotta check the plastic push-on (Gauge end) fitting to see if it matches my speedo.

[-o<

Will keep you posted,
Pat

I'm about to replace mine in the 70 Duster....curious what you end up finding that works out.

I had the same problem with my 72 Dart. Ordered the cable listed in the computer at O'Reilly's and it was the wrong one. Ordered part #CA-3014 and it is the correct one. I am sure it will work for your car too.

I had the same problem with my 72 Dart. Ordered the cable listed in the computer at O'Reilly's and it was the wrong one. Ordered part #CA-3014 and it is the correct one. I am sure it will work for your car too.

Hey Thanks Boogercj7! Will take a look at that part#.

Pat

Can you post the trans #. It's on the left side of the case.

Can you post the trans #. It's on the left side of the case.

I wasn't able to get a visual on it 6pk2goDemon....not much room under there. My kids and I are gonna do some work on the car tomorrow, will try to jack the car up somemore and see if a small body and young eyes can get a peek at them. Will posetem up if we can pull them.

Pat

The end you show there looks like the end that screws onto the back of the speedometer, not the trans. Does it have the same fitting on both ends? If so I'd say the company that made it screwed it up. I've rebuilt numerous 727's over the past 30 yrs. ranging from 1966 to 1990 models and they all had the same size connector.

The end you show there looks like the end that screws onto the back of the speedometer, not the trans. Does it have the same fitting on both ends? If so I'd say the company that made it screwed it up. I've rebuilt numerous 727's over the past 30 yrs. ranging from 1966 to 1990 models and they all had the same size connector.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but I ran into this exact same issue 5 years ago. And the part number he referenced above (CA-3014) rings a bell. I believe I found the part on Bouchillion Performance and since they're just generic app, I was able to give the part number to my local AZ and they had one in stock...and it fits...just about 8" or so too long. And the end that goes to the speedo is one of those quick release plastic doohickies.

The end shown in the pic screws into the trans, there is a plastic push-on the connects to the gauge.

Divenut, any luck figuring out which part# you needed?

Ya, I think so. Ordering a cable from Advanced Auto with 7/8" fitting (Dorman Part 03192). Same application as the CA-3014 Boogercj7 got from O'Reilly. Hopefully it'll do the trick. Will post an update here either way.

Pat

The end shown in the pic screws into the trans, there is a plastic push-on the connects to the gauge.

Something is definitely wrong then (manufacturer screw up?) cause as you said it doesn't fit cause it's too little. I know for fact all car and light truck 727's from 66 up (older ones might be the same too but I'm not familiar with anything older than 66) used the same speedometer adapter housing so there is only one size fitting. Hope the new one fits.

You can get this one for 39 bucks at the Speedometer link I provided.

Attachments

• HPIM1708.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 739
I have my speedometer cable from my 73 Dart 318 / 904 that I bought from Chrysler last summer for $50. I had it disconnected most of the time. You can have it for $20. It is an oe Chrysler part. I think I still have the receipt on file, too. My speedo head makes noise so I use a speedometer app on my phone and it has heads up display on it. I am going to an electric speedo soon.

Something is definitely wrong then (manufacturer screw up?) cause as you said it doesn't fit cause it's too little. I know for fact all car and light truck 727's from 66 up (older ones might be the same too but I'm not familiar with anything older than 66) used the same speedometer adapter housing so there is only one size fitting. Hope the new one fits.

Does the same apply for 904s? Mine has the bigger fitting too. I asked my Dad about this one when I first ran into the problem, and he said someone may've used the speedo drive gear from a truck sometime in the past, but that was just a guess.

Does the same apply for 904s? Mine has the bigger fitting too. I asked my Dad about this one when I first ran into the problem, and he said someone may've used the speedo drive gear from a truck sometime in the past, but that was just a guess.

I have had very little experience with 904's and it's been so long (about 25 yrs.) since I did one it's hard to remember but I'm pretty sure they are the same as 727's. Sorry I can't say positively. Maybe one of the others will know for sure and chime in.

I know for fact all car and light truck 727's from 66 up (older ones might be the same too but I'm not familiar with anything older than 66) used the same speedometer adapter housing so there is only one size fitting.
I can add one small data point. In 2001, I got a rebuilt 727 for my 1965 C-body w/ 383. The speedometer gear assembly (silver part in photo above) was different. It was a larger diameter in the rebuilt tranny, as I recall. I sent the whole transmission back because it also had the 66+ lever shift, whereas mine is cable shift (but not push-button). The 65 BB tranny was one-year only w/ cable-shift but sliding output yoke.

from my experience 904 and 727 all have the larger fitting, the smaller one po showed looked like for an early a but they screw onto the back of the speedo and the trans fitting

-
Back