Speedometer cables part numbers

-
Part numbers vary depending on who it comes from.
The biggest issue I have had was both cables I bought had the small nut type end on them instead of the large one like it was supposed to have.
But the places called for that exact cable for both our Darts.
I had to swap the nut end on both of them. (pain in the butt)

Knowing the year of your car & the type may help...... ;-)

Knowing the year of your car & the type may help...... ;-)
1976 dart sport was a slant six car but now has a 73 360 with the matching 727 tranny the original one out of the car was the right size 7/8 at the tranny and push on at the speedometer but the cable was broke inside the cable housing. 68-76 these years are all supossed to be the same I found a Mopar part # 4897646AA for all A,B and E body cars. So push on one end 7/8 on the other. I'm looking for inexpensive replacement brands and part numbers. I want to try one of those first. And if anybody has issues because they have a junkyard tranny in there car they will have some reference as to cable end size, screw on or push on at the speedometer and 7/8 or 5/8 at transmission. When you go on Amazon or try to look it up on auto parts stores they don't say the cable end size. So if anybody has went through this hassle. And it's hard to tell so put a brand part #, length, what ends and where you got it.

For instance my car had a replacement in the trunk. Somebody else had the same problem. Lol it is poineer part # ca- 3027 it is a push on at the speedometer and 5/8 at the tranny and is about 72 inches long.

Oh also I just noticed the new cable slides right out of the housing so I could try it in the other housing it seems to spin ok.

I have tried several. Only one works;

A-body speedometer cable.JPG

Oh also I just noticed the new cable slides right out of the housing so I could try it in the other housing it seems to spin ok.
So I just swapped out the actual cable spun it with a drill and it worked out fine. Only problem is my motor came out of a motor home and this is open rearend so the speedometer was way off probably need to switch the gear but it showed smooth on gauge no jumping around. I still think it would be good to post some of these part #'s for myself and others I ordered some from AutoZone and one from Amazon so I'll post what those turn out to be. The genuine Mopar part number I listed in the beginning you can get right from the dealer and push on with 7/8 on the tranny end. Power steering is different.

I have tried several. Only one works;

View attachment 1715207738
I think your right in that should be correct but I can remember changing one in my 71 demon screw in at speedometer and I didn't pay attention at the tranny so they varried. It's also important to note I have no idea how well the cheap ones last. I noticed the one that was on my car was ran from above not alongside the column which I could tell had it kinked a little. This probably caused it to fail. Even though this is about as basic as it gets if your not careful you'll screw it up. Even if you buy a good cable like Mancini racing kink it or run to close to the exhaust your buying another one or worse jacking up the speedometer itself.

So I just swapped out the actual cable spun it with a drill and it worked out fine. Only problem is my motor came out of a motor home and this is open rearend so the speedometer was way off probably need to switch the gear but it showed smooth on gauge no jumping around. I still think it would be good to post some of these part #'s for myself and others I ordered some from AutoZone and one from Amazon so I'll post what those turn out to be. The genuine Mopar part number I listed in the beginning you can get right from the dealer and push on with 7/8 on the tranny end. Cruise control requires different cables.

So I just swapped out the actual cable spun it with a drill and it worked out fine. Only problem is my motor came out of a motor home and this is open rearend so the speedometer was way off probably need to switch the gear but it showed smooth on gauge no jumping around. I still think it would be good to post some of these part #'s for myself and others I ordered some from AutoZone and one from Amazon so I'll post what those turn out to be. The genuine Mopar part number I listed in the beginning you can get right from the dealer and push on with 7/8 on the tranny end. Power steering is different.

I know how to run a cable.

Honest.
I wasn't sure which one was right way to feed it through there it looked wrong over the top of the brace. I came through from along side the column seemed like a straighter shot. A lot of poeple inatvertantly install stuff wrong over the years to a car then you get it and you are left scratching your head over stupid stuff. I was watching a you tube video of a guy who had his spindles on *** backwards and was switching em back after 20 years.lol

-
Back