Speedometer stopped working

-

Bock120

Reaction score
I have a 1963 Valiant 3 speed, on the column, and the speedometer stopped working. Any ideas on where to start looking? I haven't had a chance to get into it but was hoping to have a few "good" ideas when mine run out.

Thanks

speedo cable broke. It unwinds in the sheath and just twists apart. If the cable is good (unscrew ferel behind speedo and drive a little, see if it turns, then try and hold it steady) if thats turning, there is not much in the speedo but a flying magnet on the cable, and a metal dish it spins in. The meal dish is connected to the needle and it sort of uses a torque convertor like method of transferring one rotation to another without a direct link. The needle is on a light clock spring so it doesnt just spin like a second hand. My bet is the cable, you buy them in a universal length and cut and stake the end on it at the right length, you got about 1/4 wiggle room so measure twice, cut once. Lube with powdered lock graphite, not grease which can harden.

if the cable broke there should have been some noise from it and at least a few wild needle swings prior to breaking.

-
Back