speedometer

-

Phily

3XL, loud pipes, loud music, loud weed
Reaction score
So when I got the car the speed cable wasn't connected. Tried connecting and it bounces up and down and makes a clicking sound. I keep 5 miles under the speed limit according to the speedo but I know that it's then the speed I'm really trying to go as I've checked with my phone's speed sensor and my lady following me and by the popos speed radar thing they put on the side of the road at times. What I'm wondering is do you think it's the cable or the spedometer or both. I'd like to fix this soon. But it may wait til I rebuild the blocj

I sent my speedo off to be cleaned and calibrated (Redline Company I believe). Mine was also bouncing, I tried replacing the cable first (no help). But you might get lucky trying a new cable or lubing the one you have. There are lots of threads about members who have cleaned and lubed the speedo themselves.

treblig

IF you want to have it repaired call Shannon at Redline Gauge Works.Does great work and is a Mopar guy too.

Cable is easier and cheaper to start with. And what it sounds like is a frayed cable catching in the housing.

Check the nylon gear in the transmission.

I had one that was warped and anything over 30 mph, the needle would jump around.....i assume because it was flexing and skipping

Similar problem with mine. It bounces at lower speeds and is smooth at 60-75 mph. New cable and housing and it is lubed well. Hope someone has the answer.
Yote

Thanks guys. I'll check this more when I get it back home. Hopefully the school I'm parked in doesn't tow my car. I'll be there Monday to ask if it can stay the week while I finish gathering parts for the disc brakes. The front drums wheel bearing went out on the pass side and I can't get the drum off to repair it plus the spindle thing it sits on is cross threaded. Further out and completely stripped and shaved more inwards now. If it ain't one thing it's another

A speedometer has some tiny little bronze bushings and a tiny shaft spinning in them. And one part spins inside/outside the other. So enough bushing wear allows one part to touch the other. Rather than only the spinning magnetic force moving the needle a very light, very brief physical drive force is. Back when I serviced these things I had pics of egg shaped needle shaft bushings, scarred drums, broken shafts, and more. Anyway...
Having a speedometer restored is costly. Wait until that light touch becomes not so light and carries the needle a lot further, a lot more damage will be occur. New needle, new needle return spring, etc.., = Significantly higher cost to restore. Good luck

Mine bounced really bad as I would slow down below 30 MPH. It was more annoying than anything else. I bought a 150 MPH Speedo here on FABO for $60 and had it sent to Redline. I think it was $55 labor and they even repainted the needle. I swapped it out in a few hours and still have the original speedo (with original low miles) on the shelf>

DSC07501.JPG
DSC07502.JPG

I didn't want to have my car sitting for a month while the old speedo got repaired.

Treblig

Ya I was thinking just to get an aftermarket one and make a custom dash like I've seen on here at fabo. I might still do that. Just aquire tach speedo oil etc piece by piece then find someone with a metal brake and use some sheet metal. Give it that swirly brushed look and plate the whole front of dash. Looks pretty simple but would take me months to collect everything as I am pretty poor lol. But I have patience. I make decent money depending on time of year like anyone in construction. Right now tho super poor haha. At least I can laugh about it.

-
Back