spindle question

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
So I went to the local parts store today to pick up some new calipers and rotors for my 68 Dart... I already have 73 Dart BBP spindles so I was just gonna get the calipers and rotors to match them.... They asked if the caliper was mounted in the front of back of the spindle? Which ones do I need>?

Do rotors come w/bearings and everything I need?

Jason

on a stock disc brake 73 a-body the calibers mount in front of the wheel... the rotor will have a new race installed but do not come with the bearings or seals.

So I need to get front mounted calipers and bearing and seals right? What about MC... I'm going from drum to disc both manual? Do they also sell brake lines? Or is there a better source out there for this?

JAson

So I need to get front mounted calipers and bearing and seals right? What about MC... I'm going from drum to disc both manual? Do they also sell brake lines? Or is there a better source out there for this?

JAson

I did the swap on my 69 and replaced the front spindles, bearings, calipers, seals, and master cylinder for a 73-76 dart with manual disk/drums, I also used the proper proportioning valve off a 73-76 A-body with disk/drum setup. Get yourself some new rubber brake hoses and some decent pads. Do you get the upper A-Arms already with the big ball joint? You will need them as well. Good time to change the upper/lower ball joints while its all apart.

I'm buying tublar uCA and LCA's I have the lower ball joint off the 73 donor car already..... I also have the proper proportioning valve off a 73-76 A-body.... any sourse of suppy would be helpfull along w/part #'s....

Jason

really i don't know why they asked where the caliber was mounted because stock they were in front of the wheel.. you can swap the spindle from side to side to make the caliber rear mount but that shouldn't say that in any part books.

yes you'll need the bearing and seals, the MC just get one for a 73 disc brake duster/dart. brake lines are easy enough to make yourself if your talking about the steel ones that go from the master cly to the proportioning valve.. the rubber lines you can buy at the parts store... you'll need the disc brake proportioning valve or an adjustable one too.

I'm buying tublar uCA and LCA's I have the lower ball joint off the 73 donor car already..... I also have the proper proportioning valve off a 73-76 A-body.... any sourse of suppy would be helpfull along w/part #'s....

Jason

Not ssure of part numbers but if you go to Napa or whereever you get your parts just tell them you have a 75 dart with front disc and rear drum. They only show one rotor and one caliper for this application. Not sure why he asked you front or rear mounted??.....You can rear mount them if you chose to swap the spindles left to right and many people do this to avoid any collision with a sway bar upfront but even at that, the calipers are the same.....no difference. Maybe I missed something but try another parts outlet??......Good luck. Using the above info will get you the right parts.

66-72 Kelsey-Hayes disc setups mounted the calipers to the rear. That's the quickest and easiest way to determine which brake setup the customer has. Sounds like the parts guy ran across an irate customer who got the wrong parts and was trying to make sure it didn't happen to you. I would have asked the same question if you had come to my store wanting disc brake parts for a 68 Dart. In future, leave the year of the car out of it if you are wanting parts for a conversion, and ask for the year that the parts in question came from. This store sounds like a keeper.

66-72 Kelsey-Hayes disc setups mounted the calipers to the rear.

Just by looking at them they are totally different. Not just by caliper location..see pics attached of my kelsey hayes setup (4 piston caliper) and my 73-76 setup (one piston). Maybe it was wrong of me to recommend a new parts store but most outlets near me are full of 16 year old snots that do not know anything about chrome bumper cars....Ask me how I know this! Tried finding "bumper bolts" at a local Autozone and was told they dont carry those, its a dealer item...I found them in the store while looking around. Just my experience so I assume they are all like that these days.....Dont get me wrong a lot of the old timers seem to know what they are doing but lets face it, The computers seem to do all the work these days for the kids. Again, Not all are like my scenario.:thumrigh:

under2.JPG

bh211.JPG

Jason,

You just need to get a right/left set. The spindle geometry is neutral so mounting front or rear is a user choice. Only issue is a matter of getting correct length lines and running the lines without interference.

Factory sway bars on 68-72 A's require some work to avoid interfering with front mounted calipers. Lots of users shorten the link.

Whether you mount them to the front or rear makes no difference. Just make sure the bleeder is at the top.

Rob

Hi All, I just bought an almost complete disc brake set up with small bolt pattern. It is the 4 piston calipers, I may have spare calipers. I am looking for a hub for one side. I have new rotors but need just the hub and one caliper attaching bolt. Might be able to match bolt up locally to the 3 I have. I am pretty sure that the lug studs get driven out to separate the hub and rotor and re-attach by drawing lug studs back in, making it a pressed assembly. Does anyone have a spare hub? Thanks, Alan "medicineman"

Oh yeah. The brakes are going on my 1971 Duster and I have the proportioning valve for it and new style master cylinder. Thanks

I did this same swap in my 66 Valiant, (73 Duster Discs), I mounted the calipers to the rear. When mounting them to the rear, the bleeder screw is not at the top, so I had to pull the calipers and hold them so the bleeder was at the top in order to bleed them properly. I also had to use brake hoses from a Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen, they are longer and fit great! The 73-76 A-body hoses are too short if you mount the calipers to the rear! Good luck!!

Sounds like the parts guy ran across an irate customer who got the wrong parts and was trying to make sure it didn't happen to you.

maybe you have some decent parts store people in your area. in this area if one of the counter guys asked that question it means they read it somewhere because most are idiots that don't even know what a dart is...

I did this same swap in my 66 Valiant, (73 Duster Discs), I mounted the calipers to the rear. When mounting them to the rear, the bleeder screw is not at the top, so I had to pull the calipers and hold them so the bleeder was at the top in order to bleed them properly. I also had to use brake hoses from a Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen, they are longer and fit great! The 73-76 A-body hoses are too short if you mount the calipers to the rear! Good luck!!

wouldn't a volare/aspen caLIBER FIX THAT? (sorry about the caps..) the f-body caliber has a larger piston too for better pedal feel..

sounds like you need to swap them left to right to get the bleeder on top.

wouldn't a volare/aspen caLIBER FIX THAT? (sorry about the caps..) the f-body caliber has a larger piston too for better pedal feel..

Not sure, anybody know if they will fit? I think you would need caliper brackets from a Volare. I know you can use caliper brackets from a Corodoba/Magnum on the 73-76 a-body spindle, then you can run the larger disc rotor, may do that someday....

sounds like you need to swap them left to right to get the bleeder on top.

They work good now, bleeding them is a bit more work. Mounted to the rear I don't need to worry about the sway bar interfearance if they were mounted to the front.

Not sure, anybody know if they will fit? I think you would need caliper brackets from a Volare.

It's the same caliper dimensions as the darts all the bigger caliper mount does is move the caliper out a little for the bigger rotor diameter available.

Not sure, anybody know if they will fit? I think you would need caliper brackets from a Volare. I know you can use caliper brackets from a Corodoba/Magnum on the 73-76 a-body spindle, then you can run the larger disc rotor, may do that someday....

They work good now, bleeding them is a bit more work. Mounted to the rear I don't need to worry about the sway bar interfearance if they were mounted to the front.

yeah but they are still installed incorrectly. swapping them side to side is the CORRECT way to install these brakes. bleeders must always be on top. bleeding the front brakes can be done in less than 10 minutes. if its just you, just install a hose that goes into a jar filled with fresh fluid and pump until no more bubbles. it is easier with 2 people though.

the volare/aspen caliber is the same size as an a-body. just has a larger piston. and will fit the same brackets.

i didnt remeber the a body calipers were mounted towards the front,but i put the doba brakes on the same way they came off.The original brake hoses were towards rhe rear on the drum set up,and towards the rear on the disc set up,so i planned to order hoses for a 77 cordoba.If they would be incorrect,sombody please correct me before i order the wrong lines,lol.Im also planning on getting the summit,slotted/drilled rotors in the cordoba size.

summit rotors 69.95.jpg

051.jpg

114.jpg

You should prolly open ur own thread in the forsale section... I bet u'd sell them quick.

Jason

-
Back