Spitfire exhaust transition

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I will be leaving this to the muffler shop but I am curious, does anyone have any pictures of spitfire headers to exhaust. Mine are installed and I can't see how they are going to get a pipe in there. Drivers side, torsion bar,Z bar and a brake line are all close. Passanger side torsion bar. I know it can be done, just curious.

After recently purchasing a set of Spitfires (from a FABO member), I will be interested in this too.

If your muffler shop is good they will do it. My guy had what he called "donuts" pipes that were 360 degrees 2 1/2 dia. that he cut and welded to clear the Z and T-bar.
Sorry this was almost 10 years ago and have no pictures or the car anymore.

Hello Wallly...I guess it,s a goo thing I snapped some pics of my Spitfire custom exhaust.LOL.You will see in the pics,how they added 2 1/2 inch pipe to the hedder down past the torsion bars then added the collectors.Now I,m not sure how tight the fit is with manual as mine was auto.Hope the pics give you an idea of the job done.:toothy10:Oh,these were also made so I could get the tranny out,just incase.
View attachment re and re of 66 Dart 004.jpg

View attachment re and re of 66 Dart 005.jpg

View attachment re and re of 66 Dart 001.jpg

Thanks Scott, That one on the drivers side looks like it bends above the torsion bar. I know one thing I will need to run some new brake line closer to the frame. It's a real dolls house on that side of the car. I cut out the old exhaust this week with my friend the angle grinder. I'm getting my "new" streering colomn this week hopefully. I bought what sounds like a nice one one from Chryslerfat. Nigel was ridiculous $$.

Wally,if you end up with a spare coupler,the one at the end of the tube of the steering colomn,let me know.Mine needs some attention.

What ever you do don't attempt to put the supplied flanges up at the collecter. That was my mistake and I need to re-do the transition, bringing it furthur back. I would also advise ball and socket connecters to your exhaust system.
Bob

Mine is done with 2.5 inch and looks almost identical to pettybludart's... The guy did a great job but did not use the flanges at all, that is the only gripe I have... Will make replacing the motor a real pain... I wanted the guy to do what rgp266 said and put the flanges on underneath, that would be my recommendation... sorry I don't have pics and hope it turns out well for you!

My spitfires are a very early version and a little different, but Maybe it will give you an idea of how to finish yours out.

collectors.jpg

My spitfires are a very early version and a little different, but Maybe it will give you an idea of how to finish yours out.

collectors.jpg
I like how both of yours direct toward the rear. Do they clear a Z bar on a manual trans. setup?

Yes they are tight everywhere, but they don't touch anything. I made the Z bar from a /6 unit, so I moved the arms where they fit best.

hj1.jpg

When I had mine done,I had them extent the 2 1/2 inch pipe down beside the tranny with the flanges.This was so removing the tranny would be easier.I can,t see getting in the with tools,Z-bar,Torsion arms all in the way.

I guess when the time comes to have the car hauled down to the exhaust guys I will go down there first to discuss. These guys did Scott(pettyblu)'s car before the 410 and fenderwells so they are familier with the application. Just hope they don't run when they see how tight it is, it will be an adventure for sure. Thanks for the answers.

-
Back