Spool Motor Mount Inserts

-

Eggy75

Reaction score
Never done this before and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I have new spool type inserts for my 73 Swinger /6. Do I just chisel out the old rubber from the old insert and pound the new ones in? Since the new inserts are surrounded in metal, do I bend the metal tabs back from the old one, slide out the entire middle section, put the new ones in and try to bend the outside metal of the insert? Pulling my hair out here!!:banghead:

I did just the inserts for mine, I beat the old ones out ( entire center ) and slid the new ones in...I used a punch on the collar to make sure they wouldn't move. The new ones did seem to be a little too small, but not small enough to put inside the sleeve of the old spool

Buy them assembled if you can. I bought inserts for my 340/360 ones and they were loose (smaller diameter) so I had them tack welded. Not worth the hassle to me. But if you have a welder super handy and free.

I was thinking of welding them but didn't want to burn up the rubber section. I just got out the BFH and a huge punch and took it to it. Good as new! Thanks all.:salut:

The rubber is probably garbage anyway (certainly if they are made in India). I don't know about the slant mounts, but the V8 mount inserts can be found in poly.....

-
Back