spool mounts with a torque strap=overkill?

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
i have spool mounts and a torque strap.is the strap not needed with the spool mounts?if so i can sell someone the schmacher strap that needs it

I have spool mounts, and I will be using a TS when I get my new build done. Can't hurt!

Hard to say without knowing the application. Stock teener-sell it. 600hp stroker-keep it. No such thing as overkill if you ask me. It can only help.

The spool mount is it's own torque limiter by design. You can lose the strap.

Have spool mounts, after a couple of years started to get some noticeable movement, added a torque strap, no movement. Approx 385 hp 360 stick driven with enthusiasm.

i didnt know,its got a 500hp 512 tq 408 stroker.its quite stout.no track time

I hate torque straps.

Have a look at the front two cylinders after you put some time on it. That strap will pull those bores out of round.

If you need to retain the engine any better than what you have, either use an engine plate or ditch the spool mount and go to the earlier K member and use solid mounts.

Have spool mounts, after a couple of years started to get some noticeable movement, added a torque strap, no movement. Approx 385 hp 360 stick driven with enthusiasm.

You can fill the air void on the top and bottom inside the mount with silicone window caulking.

I did mine in 1997. From 97-2010 with a 300hp 340. And from 2010-current with a 450+hp 416 stroker. All automatic on the street.

Same mounts 1997 to now.

You can fill the air void on the top and bottom inside the mount with silicone window caulking.

I did mine in 1997. From 97-2010 with a 300hp 340. And from 2010-current with a 450+hp 416 stroker. All automatic on the street.

Same mounts 1997 to now.

Cool idea... the stock driver side spool mount on my '88 Fifth Avenue "collapsed" after years of use and that has a stock 318 2-bbl. I figured the constant pushing and pulling of the engine sitting on the mount and then torqueing over wore out the rubber. I realized the mount was bad because the exhaust manifold was resting on the steering box and made an annoying vibration when it was running.

-
Back