Spray bomb vinyl dye.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Has anyone here had any luck using spray bomb vinyl dye?I have white door panels I need to dye black.

Thanks,Jim

I have had them ( off the shelf cans)" spit" on me. Most paint jobbers can mix and load dye in can for you. A little more expensive but a better product than one that's been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long. Degrease thoroughly and I like to use a spray can adhesion promoter such as " Bulldog" or the like. Several light easy coats, thick and heavy will peel easier. Less is more with dye.

Yep, SEM is the ticket!

I used it to turn red door panels black. Worked like a charm. Like most things, prep is very important. I bought the SEM Vinyl Prep and used a worn green pad to clean them up well. Then followed the directions exactly.

It's been nearly a year and they look GREAT!!

Jim, Make sure the door panels are really clean & use an adhesion promoter before the dye....

Going from white to black should be a piece of cake :thumbup:

Is a door panel too big of an area to do with spray bomb?I have used dye before but always in a spray gun.

I prefer a gun, because it's easier for me and I think the finish is more consistent. Decent results can be obtained with a spray bomb though.

SEM is awesome! My panels were white and now black. No need for a gun, just spray bomb them. Like C said use a adhesion promoter to help it stick.

SEM worked well for me too once I got the hang of it. It worked better when I sprayed from a little closer distance than what the directions said. Otherwise the dye was already too dry by the time it hit the panel. I would practice a little on something first.

Wow I'm well below you guy's, need to read more. I used Rust-oleum fabric/vinyl paint. Cleaned and de-greased, using light coats. Installed fine with no chips, cracks or marring. It even feels like original. I guess time will tell it's longevity. This was originally green.

Attachments

• i4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 279
Is a door panel too big of an area to do with spray bomb?I have used dye before but always in a spray gun.

Nope. I pretty much did my entire car with spray bombs. Spray gun would be easier, but I couldn't get a larger container shipped to me in California. Funny how they can't ship you a gallon because of the EPA, but I can buy a case of spray bombs and ship those.

Anyway, everything you see in the picture was dyed.

IMG_1435_zps7d079e8e.jpg

IMG_5184_zps640fc7a1.jpg

Yeah, the fold down seat changed, but it was tan too. ;)

Nope. I pretty much did my entire car with spray bombs. Spray gun would be easier, but I couldn't get a larger container shipped to me in California. Funny how they can't ship you a gallon because of the EPA, but I can buy a case of spray bombs and ship those.

Anyway, everything you see in the picture was dyed.

IMG_1435_zps7d079e8e.jpg

IMG_5184_zps640fc7a1.jpg

Yeah, the fold down seat changed, but it was tan too. ;)

72 - Did you use the SEM product? My buckets are the same color, but would like to dye them black. How would it hold up driving regularly?

You can buy the upholstery paint in qts from classic and spay them.

72 - Did you use the SEM product? My buckets are the same color, but would like to dye them black. How would it hold up driving regularly?

I used VHT penetrating vinyl dye.

It holds up pretty well, mine has been dyed for almost a year and a half now and I haven't had any issues with the seats or door panels. It's hard to tell they're dyed at all unless you put them next to original black vinyl. The finish is a little different.

On the plastic parts, like the kick panels and the fold down seat panels in my car the finish can get chipped or scraped, which shows the original color below. It touches up pretty easily on those parts, but I've stopped bothering because I'm driving the Duster almost daily. It's pretty durable, I haven't had issues with the rear window surrounds or door tops. But the kick panels take some abuse and some scratches show up.

I don't use my rear seat a ton for passengers, most of the time I use the back seat it's folded down for the trunk pass through. My front buckets are aftermarket and were originally black.

I had really good luck with the dupli color stuff. Did A lot in my car with it and it worked great. Just follow directions to a tee and you should be good!

Awesome. I am going to give this a try soon. I saw duplicolor and VHT's how to video's. Looks like the key is the prep. (Like with any paint job)

My whole interior is black, except the front buckets, so we'll see how this holds up.

I used the SEM Landau Black to change my blue door panels to black.

They turned out a little too shiny, so I went over them a second time, with SEM satin black.

Did my door panels, armrests, and my rear seat about 2 years ago, they all still look great.

-
Back