Spray bombs??

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
The motor will be pulled very soon and the engine compartment stripped. I will not be repainting whole car (this time a round). The engine compartment "was" the colour of the car, however I ending up painting the inner fenders gloss black as the compartment was quite worn with scratches ect. I would like to try and get it back to blue before I put the new motor in.
I can get a very close color match "spray bomb". Although I know this is not within the MOPAR law...and a bad way to go, I have read a lot of negitives about using any spray bombs but...I'm still wondering if done correctly......has anyone had any good results where their painting turned out not too bad or better then exspected.

If so any tips for me.

PS..Going to a shop is out of the question until the whole car gets re-painted and I'm not set-up or have the equipment to do it pro.

I've had good luck, not on my Barracuda but other cars. I did the hood of my van with spray cans. My painter friend saw it and couldn't believe I did it with spray cans!

I put it on pretty thick, not so thick that it runs but thick enough that it looks wet. Nice gentle back and forth strokes, releasing the button at the end of each stroke so you don't get too much build up at the end where you reverse direction. My finger ached after for hours, but it was worth it! I hold the can close too, closer than the directions say.

You might want to try on a scrap piece of metal first. Hope this helps.

Eastwood sells a version of a rattle can you fill and pressurize yourself. It`s about 35 bucks? Fill it with your car color and away you go! Prep is the word, start with a good clean surface.

I did a hood on a 84 suburban with spray cans and it turned out perfect. I wet sanded after applying the paint and it buffed out really nice. Of course it was white but, You can't tell the difference between hood or fender color or shine.

Any good automotive paint shop can mix your original color and put it into spray cans for you. You usually have to buy a quart of paing which fills 4-5 cans. I did this with a 71 GTx i used to have and I was surprised how nice it actually came out. Make sure everything is clean and degreased. take your time and let it fly. good luck.

I used cans on my 70 Cuda.
PCu8.jpg

I also tried again with the Scamp but didnt have any luck this time.

my tip would be that if you use the rattle cans get one of those plastic handle thingies that turns it into a gun... makes for better results

I called www.towerpaint.com and gave them my paint code and they shipped enamel spray cans to my house in less then 4 days. I painted my trunk and the color matched perfectly (click on image to enlarge):

Jimmy...call JB's paint store downtown and they should be able to help you with putting paint in spray cans. :thumbup:

Longgone said:
Eastwood sells a version of a rattle can you fill and pressurize yourself. It`s about 35 bucks? Fill it with your car color and away you go! Prep is the word, start with a good clean surface.

I had one of those, it did not lay down paint very well. I have used with a lot of success a product called Preval which is a self loadable bottle for mixing your own paint, it comes with a precharged spray cylinder. I have seen them sold a lot of places, they usually go for about $4 each. Just get your local paint shop to mix up some good paint for you, add reducer and/or hardener any you have real paint!

Preval

You canget them (PREVAL 267) at most hardware / automotive stores or you can order them through my company.

andspray2.jpg

Longgone said:
Great link, I might try them myself!

If you do order from them call them up. Their web site does not work. I ordered twice from them recently. Both times I ordered on a Monday and it was sitting at my door step before Friday, both times. And the color was dead on correct. I am impressed with their service and quality of product.

I called them today and gave them my color code, just bought one 16oz. can to touch up the engine compartment. $20.00 and some change to the door. Now I`ll just wait and see what comes.

I meant to let you all know that I`m very pleased with www.towerpaint.com .Their paint service and product are very good. They were fair priced, fast, and efficient. You can buy as little or as much as you`d like. I`d highly recommend them!

Use a solid color with no metallic and prep area good with prep wipe after cleaning.
Then the metal could be a good 70 deg, Then I bet you will be fine.

I would be afraid of tiger stripes if I used a metallic paint. :-k

I used Mopaint (732-846-1044), based on the recommendation of others on this site. I was really happy with their service and with the finished product.

The previous owner had all of the interior trim pieces lined with fabric back in the 80s. I took them off and then sanded, primered and painted them.

Here are the "before," "stripped" and then "sanded/primered/painted" pics

hope this helps,

65Barracuda
John

Before_1.jpg

Stripped.JPG

After_1.JPG

-
Back