Spring arch, is this normal?

-

snailpower

Reaction score
i have gone through the entire suspension of my car with exception of the rear leaf springs replaced at some point one of the previous owners.

In looking at the rear of my car it seems a bit low even though these are the MP "oval track" lowering springs. P4529414. I am also using Dr Diff offset shackle kit and it has 2 settings for height and I am using the one that raises the car.

Looking at them they seem a bit wonky to me now, any opinions?

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

I would start by taking the wood block out from between the axle perches and leaf spring...

Then replace with a set of MP 002 & 003 Super stock springs...

I would start by taking the wood block out from between the axle perches and leaf spring...

Then replace with a set of MP 002 & 003 Super stock springs...

haha its a 6 degree pinion angle wedge (metal). should have mentioned that. its not a lifting / lowering block.

FullSizeRender-2 copy 2.jpg

*edited for photo

Needed more blades (when they were new).
They look overpowered, hence the S-shape. Has it been raced before with a powerfull engine?

Replace time, and torsion bars probably would be good for the new set.

Rear Spring section in the chassis manual....
View attachment 1715022604

Interesting, yeah i don't think these springs are too old so them being shot doesn't seem right.

Needed more blades (when they were new).
They look overpowered, hence the S-shape. Has it been raced before with a powerfull engine?

Not unless you consider a 318 powerful haha. but they could have been on another car before, like I said they came with the car.

Replace time, and torsion bars probably would be good for the new set.

Yup already has some new torsion bars. might just look for a set of leaf springs though to give the total update.

Thanks guys for the replies thus far.

If you're considering replacing them you might want to look into ESPO. Fast friendly and competitively priced with a selection of ride heights available. They did mine. Not as harsh a ride as the super stock springs either.

Call someone like firmfeel. They may know if that's right. Being oval track springs that may be how they are supposed to be.

How do ya want it yo sit when done? Have any pics of the car on flat ground,

If you're considering replacing them you might want to look into ESPO. Fast friendly and competitively priced with a selection of ride heights available. They did mine. Not as harsh a ride as the super stock springs either.

Ill keep that in mind thanks! I have 1.12 front torsion bars with bilsteins. Im going for a more modern handling type feel so I will have to find something that matches that.

Call someone like firmfeel. They may know if that's right. Being oval track springs that may be how they are supposed to be.

How do ya want it yo sit when done? Have any pics of the car on flat ground,

Here is a current photo as of yesterday, its probably a bit lower than average and in my opinion maybe about .5-1" too low in the back (aesthetically anyway). I like the look of a bit of rake. I also want it to handle well, hence the thick 1.12 firm feel bars up front. I also have front sway from them, tubular UCAs, bilsteins and plan on adding a rear sway bar maybe in the future.

FullSizeRender-2 copy 4.jpg

Good lookin ride, I see what you mean about a tad low in the back. The wheels are great choice for that car.

Looks good to me. But it is hard to tell without a full side shot.

If you do get new springs I'd stay away from espo. They are great stock replacement but for what you want I think you'll want more spring. Contact @GMachineDartGT (Pete) at Bergman auto craft. He will set ya up.

Hey Joe, something wrong with your bucket! (photo bucket that is)

So how does the car feel when you are driving/cornering? Are you looking for a road rallye type ride?

It's funny. You think yours is too low. I think mine is 1/2" too high. Lol

Photo by Joe Di

View attachment 1715022626

Looking good, want to trade springs? haha

So how does the car feel when you are driving/cornering? Are you looking for a road rallye type ride?

yeah actually it drives pretty well and corners well (dare I say even a bit on the stiff side in the rear), just looks a bit funny to me. If the "S bend" is odd it was going to give me a reason to replace.

Do you know anyone in your area that has installed the superstock springs? Thinkin a ride with them will give you the answer. With the improvements you've done to the front end it won't take much. I put the SS springs on my Dart and ESPO 2" higher on my Cuda. The Dart rides a little stiffer but not much, and both springs settled very little (1/4" or so). Hope this helps.

Stiff rides?
For what it's worth (about 2 cents I guess) my Dart has 7 blades per springpack.
But I'm carrying 2 propane tanks in the trunk and package tray, so that might compensate matter slightly...
(I've removed the stock, always empty, fueltank since this pic was taken)

IMG_3961CROP_zpsvbyvvf0u.jpg

I was going to mention the SS springs have a different arch side to side to help launch straight and counteract engine torque. After I installed mine I had to adjust the torsion bars to get the car to sit level, not a lot but you can feel the difference in rebound when you take bumps.

don't even thing of SS springs.. they raise it sky high and make th car sit lopsided.. they are good for the drag strip..

to get them to corner you need two of i forget what side and you de-arch them.... much better choices out there these days to do that crap..

Like Joe said, it all depends on what you're trying to do. If its for street or road course, those may be fine, try it out. If it's for 1/4 mile, that reverse may hurt launch and a stance more like Joe's will usually an indication of anti-squat and will help weight transfer.

mostly it will be a cruiser and canyon carver with possibly some minimal auto x and drag but nothing serious / competitive. I do enjoy getting up to the canyons when I can but am not too hard on it due to its age.

So I guess I will be looking for something more on the road course end of things. The hotchkis rear leafs look good but if the bend in mine is somewhat normal than I might just put the money elsewhere in the build.

-
Back