spring around front brake drum

-

csx452

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the spring that goes around the front brake drums? My 68 has one missing. How important is it and can it be bought aftermarket?
Thanks,
Frank

I believe it is just to help control "ringing", so not crucial, but will slightly effect braking. If the drum is ringing the shoes will not be able to make solid contact with the drum.

ringing vibration ...... unless you are beating the living daylights out of your car/brakes, your braking will not be significantly or noticeably affected. For the purists YES it does dampen vibration and that can affect braking as noticed by the drivers on the test tracks who beat on cars for a living...hence their existence....however they were and are predominately made of the cheapest metal substance known to man and their typical life expectancy was about 2 years.....in the midwest and other snow infested regions.....dealers used to destroy them when they put on the vibration rubber belt while turning the drums....I have yet to ever see one replaced

ringing vibration ...... unless you are beating the living daylights out of your car/brakes, your braking will not be significantly or noticeably affected. For the purists YES it does dampen vibration and that can affect braking as noticed by the drivers on the test tracks who beat on cars for a living...hence their existence....however they were and are predominately made of the cheapest metal substance known to man and their typical life expectancy was about 2 years.....in the midwest and other snow infested regions.....dealers used to destroy them when they put on the vibration rubber belt while turning the drums....I have yet to ever see one replaced

+1, and they don't come with most replacement drums, either. The degree of braking impairment due to ringing would be immeasurably small; totally theoretical. The reason the spring's there is so the brakes are quiet on Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver's new Belvedere.

Yall know dang well those are the flux capacitor springs. The car will never hit 88 MPH without um.

here in the textile belt a harness return spring was used like wd-40, screen door spring, brake drum spring, etc.. of course that was long before flux capasitors

I was told once by an old timer that the springs help dissipate heat. I have no idea whatsoever if there's any truth to that one.

Most aftermarket drums don't have the spring groove anyway so you might want to check the drums first before you bother with them.

I have some good used 10 & 11 inch springs if you need one PM me

-
Back