Spring fling 2023 a bust for A bodies

-

C2ndLTpigeon

Mopar or no Car!
Reaction score
Decided to go to the spring fling again this year to sell some stuff and also look for some stuff for my A bodies.
Wondered if anyone else that went thought that it was a bust when it came to A body parts. Last year there was a good variety, but this year noting but E and B bod parts.

Swap meet was light, in my opinion. Yes, there were fewer A-body parts out there, but there were some. I wasn't looking for much and found less...

i saw a lot of people walking around with B & E stuff and several asked if i had any specific E parts (only 340's and a distributor); but i sold most the specific A body stuff that i took.

but the swap crowd over all seemed more casual in dress and perusal, much fewer hand trucks and wagons being pulled by dudes in their grubbies.

i saw a lot of people walking around with B & E stuff and several asked if i had any specific E parts (only 340's and a distributor); but i sold most the specific A body stuff that i took.

but the swap crowd over all seemed more casual in dress and perusal, much fewer hand trucks and wagons being pulled by dudes in their grubbies.
I've mentioned that the swap was light in terms of people selling, but I also think the buying crowd was light. We took our time walking the swap and was still done by 10:30.

I walked the swap about 3 times, and it seemed like a bust. I took some stuff out there I would of sold for next to nothing but people showed no interest. Only sold a few things that barely broke even. My dad sold a few E body parts but nothing to brag about. Most of my unsold stuff will just end up in my dumpster. Not a good motivator to keep it around and haul it again. Decent weather though. This was our setup.

341759619_3550609665223838_3927087799196413836_n.jpg

I walked the swap about 3 times, and it seemed like a bust. I took some stuff out there I would of sold for next to nothing but people showed no interest. Only sold a few things that barely broke even. My dad sold a few E body parts but nothing to brag about. Most of my unsold stuff will just end up in my dumpster. Not a good motivator to keep it around and haul it again. Decent weather though. This was our setup.

View attachment 1716079460
Story on those heads?

Story on those heads?
Nothing special, just 318 heads. One set had some nice at home port work. I just hate throwing stuff away thats older then I am, but I'm also tired of lugging them around and don't have the space for this stuff.
Told some people to just take them for a few bucks or else they go to the dump, nothing. Thats why they are sitting I'm my dumpster now. :lol:

I had some A body stuff. Sold my pair of 70-1 Dart fenders, 3 pairs of 73 Duster tail lights and some misc. stuff. Do agree, way more B/E stuff this year.

View attachment 1716079460
‘75 Dart Sport tail panel and light surrounds.
More pictures please.

What makes you so sure?
Because I wasted $100 on each of those months ago hoping I could restore one, and then I paid $300 for this nice panel and tail light bezels. I tried to sell one for $50 or both for $80 no bites. As far as shipping, I pack pretty good but USPS always knows how to destroy long items like these.

326919521_911510706687933_6060860863513998264_n.jpg

So you’re no longer interested in selling it? You have a customer here if it’s a nice piece. Why not post some pictures tell me what you want for it and we go from there. Just don’t do it here make it a for sale ad. Toolmanmike is always on the watch when I’m online.

See
Because I wasted $100 on each of those months ago hoping I could restore one, and then I paid $300 for this nice panel and tail light bezels. I tried to sell one for $50 or both for $80 no bites. As far as shipping, I pack pretty good but USPS always knows how to destroy long items like these.
The picture just showed up on my end, That is a great looking trim piece and worth every penny paid.
:thumbsup:

View attachment 1716080079
Looks like a nice piece and a buyer in need. Build a shipping box and dare-em' with a strong build. Been there, done that....

JW

Nothing special, just 318 heads. One set had some nice at home port work. I just hate throwing stuff away thats older then I am, but I'm also tired of lugging them around and don't have the space for this stuff.
Told some people to just take them for a few bucks or else they go to the dump, nothing. Thats why they are sitting I'm my dumpster now. :lol:

I had a really nice pair of 1958 325 poly (Dodge) heads, complete along with the two barrel intake and carb. Had the air cleaner as well. Almost had a buyer at $100. They were backing out and I told them to make me any offer. They walked away. Never could sell them so they went for scrap metal. I've got a couple of extra pairs of big block heads (I think both sets are 452s). They may sit in the pile forever because I'm just not going to lug them out to a swap meet.

Scrap metal is paying really low now, right around 5 cents a pound. I would NOT scrap anything unless it is worthless and in the way.
I cut up a Saturn SUV and the 2600 lbs of steel only paid $126.

Like I mentioned I hate discarding stuff that's older than me, but I also don't like hauling it around for no reason, so if no one was interested and I have no room for it, then its much easier for me to toss it in my on site dumpster.
I used to do that on the Dodge neon pages. I had so many parts horded and I even had a 98 manual ACR, Offered it up for sale and nothing but tire kickers, or (I wish I was closer) responses. Then I mentioned it would be listed for one more week after it was listed for months, after that I will cut the car up. Still no bites. Once I posted pics of the car chopped up then I got all the backlash and I never saw it for sale, and why didn't you just give it away etc.
Selling is already a pain and no one ever wants to pay for shipping, and when they do find out what the ship costs are buyers want me to lower the cost because the total is too high. That's not my fault. If I see something I want I will buy it no matter the shipping. Selling in general is a pain and most the time not worth the time for the few buck you make.

I guess it’s time for me to step away, I thought you might want to sell but it’s too much trouble. Let me just say this, you in you own words said if it’s something you want you will pursue it to get it…….you are implying the you are the only individual who is capable of this “special” talent.

:rofl:I’m out!

Crazy drivers not many people want to take their old car though still many show up, crazy traffic, that one really wants to sell anything right now and we're holding on to stuff to see what happens it's either going to be going up in value like crazy or dying out. Then again there's also the scarceness of everything ...it's 2023.
Last couple years have been kind of eh.

I guess it’s time for me to step away, I thought you might want to sell but it’s too much trouble. Let me just say this, you in you own words said if it’s something you want you will pursue it to get it…….you are implying the you are the only individual who is capable of this “special” talent.

:rofl:I’m out!
Well, I finally have time to finish unloading the truck since the swap meet. So I guess sorry for not getting it done in a timely manner. Just venting on how its always a buyers market and usually the seller loses. Nothing special about it, I just choose not to deal with it. Box costs money, packing, trip in gas to the post office for people that want quotes but never buy. Thought the swap meet was the best bet, but I guess not. A learning experience. But if your serious see the for sale page. They will only stay listed for a week

Like my friend says " everytime he has to buy a used part he pays thru the nose, every time he wants to sell a used part, no one will pay c***" .

Our old car hobby, is a good indicator of the "real" economy!

As time marches on, the "restomod" will (is) be the driving force. Us old guy that drove these cars back in the day decades ago, we relate to what the whole driving experience should be like...the younger guys that never experienced such, and have fobias of carbs, point dist., ancient suspension/steering, etc. want the old car look and a built old car that drives like a 20203 model.

I laugh everytime is see a 65 Chevy C10 sell at BJ for $100,000! :poke:

:BangHead::lol:

View attachment 1716080079
Bubble wrap it real good and put it in a concrete form tube, cut some wood for the ends to seal it up.
Shipped some nice tail lights to Brazil and they made it.

Bubble wrap it real good and put it in a concrete form tube, cut some wood for the ends to seal it up.
Shipped some nice tail lights to Brazil and they made it.
Alot of the shafts we purchase in our plant are basically Concrete tubes on Steroids..... If you ship something in them basically a saw would be required to damage them..... But yeah, you can make something indestructible almost for shipping. But it does require time to do so and if a seller wants to make that a cost, I respect that and would make it work to insure my parts shows up as sold.....

Now shipping companies losing it, that's a different story....

JW

I have made several boxes to ship things including a ‘65 Barracuda deck lid, yes it’s a pain in the *** but its part of the deal. I have even split or covered the shipping cost.

-
Back