Spring Perches?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I'm going to be moving the rear springs/wheelwells in on the 66 Valiant after Christmas, and I'll be using the mancini kit since its quite a bit cheaper than the MP kit. I won't be putting a V8 in it for a while, if ever, gonna keep the 45K mile slant six but I will be putting a 4-spd in place of the 3-spd. Here is the question. I don't have the money, or the need, really, to upgrade from the 7 1/4 right now. I have an 8 3/4 housing to narrow, etc, but for now I am using the tiny rear. I just want the ability to put wider rear tires on it just for looks, and to teach myself how to move the springs in. Anyone know where I can find a set of leaf spring perches for the 7 1/4 rear, since they have the smaller 2.5" axle tubes? I found one set on a 4wd website, but they are 8 inches long and may look kind of silly. Then again, it might be my only choice. Thanks for any input!!

I've seen people cut them off and re-weld them back on.....kind of a "down N dirty" thing, but hey....can't beat the price. You could probably find an old 7 1/4" rear for less than the new Mancini perches.....lol..

Very true!! I may just do that...If I keep the car, I'm going to swap in an 8.75 eventually, I just want it to look cool until I do that. What would be the easiest way, short of using a plasma cutter, to take them off without messing them up too bad?

sawzall would probable give you a nice clean close cut or amybe a cut off wheel

I'm scrapping a few 7.25 rears, pay shipping and maybe $5 and I'll cut the perches off.

Might cost about $15 total.

I have a few of those upper A arm mount sections too...

I was thinking a cut-off wheel, but I thinked crackedback's solution is the quickest and easiest for me! lol I'm sending you a pm crackedback.

-
Back