Spring relocation kit installed wrong?

-

70SwingerDart

Reaction score
so I bought this car last summer and didn’t have much time to enjoy it, either way mid way through the year I developed a new clunk, looking under the car I noticed my shackles were pancaked flat against the frame, upon further investigation this car has had a spring relocation kit installed, now this got me to thinking that it may have been installed wrong, I also noticed that the rear shackle hanger is offset from the frame which most installs I have seen are centered on the rear frame rails

Hopefully someone can chime in and shed some light to give me a direction to fixing this problem? I’ve attached a photo with a measurement off the original frame location for the spring hanger to where the Center of the hanger is now, approx 4 1/8” if someone can reference their car for me to see what went wrong on mine

F09C329A-90EB-4F2B-B772-AF7167C87301.jpeg

B2FDD2F8-62A0-4E0D-A3E5-2AFF4C5D01FC.jpeg

7D417C5B-630D-450F-AA04-C6C0E0870BDF.jpeg

looks like the springs are too long or the brackets are installed wrong

I just put the stock hanger up to get a measurement. The bracket attaches to the vertical surface, and it's 1.5" to the fixed pivot bolt.

Are both sides the same way?

Drivers side is welded the same and is close to the frame but not touching as the passenger side is.

I am guessing the springs are used as the gentleman I bought the car from had a full parts car to swap the drivetrain over, said it was a 72 dart parts car but came with 727 trans and 8 3/4 diff where this yellow car was originally /6 auto and a 7 1/4 diff I’d guess with small bolt pattern, all of which is long gone now

A2D2A501-9AB7-4C50-9853-CC6F830EC2E3.jpeg

Rear bracket is installed wrong and too far forward.
Doesn't look like something that comes in a kit either. Is this the result of someone's cobbled-together redneckery?

I just put the stock hanger up to get a measurement. The bracket attaches to the vertical surface, and it's 1.5" to the fixed pivot bolt.

Thanks.... That’s what I was worried about..... looks like I might be replacing the shackle mounting point, if you have a chance could you take a photo for reference for me if no one else chimes in

Here is a couple photos showing the offset from the frame, hard to get a photo of with the leaf pack in the way, but yea it definitely looks like a home made offset, which is probably why its located wrong at the back

Second photo is the inside of the frame, first photo is the outside of the frame with a measurement roughly showing the overhang from the frame

9C33A6A6-DC86-47F6-99F3-1C25FFD507E0.jpeg

B6FC6A4C-F3DC-4CF2-8EC4-BE3B5A5186E6.jpeg

Rear bracket is installed wrong and too far forward.
Doesn't look like something that comes in a kit either. Is this the result of someone's cobbled-together redneckery?
Agreed. The new spring hanger should be in the same location as the stock piece if the same length springs are used. I would cut the pieces off and trim the channel so the bolt hole is in the same place as the stock piece.

I may be completely wrong on this, but it seems to my admittedly foggy recollection that the kits from Mopar used an offset hanger for the rear mount.

The bolt goes through the rail. I wish this car was mine. LOL
uscartool2.JPG

Last edited:
what does the drive shaft slip yoke look like in or out too far??

Last owner’s name happen to be
Mickey?
Not that im familiar with this sort of modification, its obvious it isnt right.
These sort of mods frustrate me.

Have seen some pretty effed up trucks where lifts were done so wrong.
Two with boogered frames i had to fix.
One with a 6” stack of flat plates and welded up u-bolts. I wouldnt touch that one.

Thanks.... That’s what I was worried about..... looks like I might be replacing the shackle mounting point, if you have a chance could you take a photo for reference for me if no one else chimes in

Found this, it's a home done job, but it will give you an idea.

hanger.JPG

Last owner’s name happen to be
Mickey?
Not that im familiar with this sort of modification, its obvious it isnt right.
These sort of mods frustrate me.

Have seen some pretty effed up trucks where lifts were done so wrong.
Two with boogered frames i had to fix.
One with a 6” stack of flat plates and welded up u-bolts. I wouldnt touch that one.

Last owners name is not Mickey! But does happen to be one of my old nicknames

Thanks for all the info everyone, I’m going to try to find a local car and take some more measurements or maybe just buy the rear half of that yellow kit that locates the location to the original mounting points definitely seems like the most accurate way

-
Back