Springless Valvetrain????

-
A lot you have to have a VARY Vary Custom cam built by them. And i think it would be cam limited(no big lifts) still interesting just the same

Nah just a little motor honey and she will be just fine!:lol:

So engines are over a 120 yrs old. And he is the first one to think of this now? Going to pass on this concept.

Old news as said, mercedes used it in the early 1900s
Ducati still does. Very time consuming valve lash adjustments as you have an opener and closer on every valve. Sohc 2 valve heads arent bad. The dohc 4 valves are annoying.

Ducati said 10 hours labour or something to do the lash on their street legal v4 gp bike the desmosedici. 32 openers and closers!!!

Desmo lets you have some very agressive camming amd rpm limits. Spring tech is so good nowadays its not really necessary though. Some of the 600cc sport bikes redline at 13000rpm with standard springs!

One thing that has been in my mind for years.........and surely it will happen some day.........is a CAMLESS valve system. Just imagine, some sort of electric, electronically controlled valves, which you can vary with the ECU, you have a DD, gas mileage king, and the wildest "cam" you can imagine, all in one box.

The Wankle rotary engine eliminates a lot of parts. Ive been thinking of combining 6 or 8 Wankles in a circular arrangement at the rear end. Why not?

The Wankle rotary engine eliminates a lot of parts. Ive been thinking of combining 6 or 8 Wankles in a circular arrangement at the rear end. Why not?

Because complication in life will make your hair fall out. Sort of like marriage. Oh well...I'm going to take it on the chin for that one.

I thought this thread was going to be about gas valve springs. I read about F1 experimenting with them, years ago. IIRC, they were little cylinders filled with nitrogen gas. They could adjust the pressure with a Schrader valve. They don't have to worry about metallurgy, friction, or cycles, etc. Theoretically, they don't wear out. As far as I know, that's as far as it went, I guess. I expect they had trouble getting the hydraulic cylinders to stay sealed thru all the heat, and heat cycles.

Rotary valve, picture a shaft with hole through it spininng. Just have to be able to seal the ends of the shaft. Damn physics!!!!

One thing that has been in my mind for years.........and surely it will happen some day.........is a CAMLESS valve system. Just imagine, some sort of electric, electronically controlled valves, which you can vary with the ECU, you have a DD, gas mileage king, and the wildest "cam" you can imagine, all in one box.
Been done a LONG time ago with solenoid. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't made a comeback with all the new tech

Rotary valve, picture a shaft with hole through it spininng. Just have to be able to seal the ends of the shaft. Damn physics!!!!
also been done quite some time ago. Look at two strokes and there are some engines using it now, in Europe as I understand it.

I think the failure rate of those electric solenoids would be too high. And if one hangs open for a split second, goodbye piston & valve(s)! If a cam fails, it usually wears out over some time. You might notice the engine not running right long before catastrophic failure takes place. With electronics, usually they just stop working, or short out suddenly, with no warning.

Pneumatically operated valvetrain......F1 for years,.......why do You think the FIA had to impose a 20,000rpm limit on the engines....................

Lots of old 2-stroke Jap bikes runnin' around with just that, I have a 175cc Yamaha F7 circa early '70's & the carb horn mounts right on the rotary-valve housing on the
side of the case.

I think the failure rate of those electric solenoids would be too high. And if one hangs open for a split second, goodbye piston & valve(s)! If a cam fails, it usually wears out over some time. You might notice the engine not running right long before catastrophic failure takes place. With electronics, usually they just stop working, or short out suddenly, with no warning.
Thee are plenty engines out there that are not interference engines

Mazda ran a three rotor engine, ran it in a prototype sports racer at Le Mans in 1991 and won, only to be banned afterwards. Bad *** car.

-
Back