spst headlight relays

-

dennday67

Reaction score
how many have set up a pair of spst relays for there head lights? If so how did you like it and located the relays?

See articles on Allpar here and here -- the photos of the headlight beams on the road in both articles are very poor, but the text is very descriptive and accurate. Also see here.

I fabbed a relay enclosure and placed it on the inner fender just right and forward of the alternator. Only 2 headlight relays and a horn relay in it today. Space available for 3 more though.

I'm still looking for the time to get this done. Hope by Christmas this year.

Okay I already did research this upgrade awhile back while doing /6dans hei upgrade. I guess my original question should just have been where you chose to mount your spdt or spst relays and provide a pic please.

I mounted mine right above the steering column under the dash. Make sure they clear the windshield wiper arms. I use inter locking relay bases. I had to remove the gauge panel to do it. I also by pass the amp. meter and install a power bar there also. It feeds all my electric needs and it has room for growing.

Bear

Okay I already did research this upgrade awhile back while doing /6dans hei upgrade. I guess my original question should just have been where you chose to mount your spdt or spst relays and provide a pic please.

okay, i was gonna go "strokerscamp" on your a$$, but ill refrain. i will kindly state that there are some creative ideas in that thread that i posted in post #2.

here's what i did...(it's also in that thread.)

i mounted mine in an aluminum enclosure, which is mounted underneath the battery tray. pop riveted.

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

what you see here^^

blacks are my designated ground, the 12GA wires come from the post on the starter relay, both fused with a 30 amp inline mini fuse.

Pink is the low current to power the relays, with a weatherpack connector for easy serviceability. (ability to remove entire front harness separately).

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

barely noticeable

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

thank you mopardude318. thats the kind of creativity i was looking for and why would you go all strokerscamp on me?

lol. cuz normally when "strokerscamp" puts a thread out to be followed and the OP doesn't check it out and asks a question where the answer is in that thread, he might say something rude. LOL The same info i posted is in the #2 post. follow that link. there is also a couple more ideas and creative relay installations done by member "pauly v.100", and also "Slant Six Dan" has some very nice info in that thread as well.

-James

I've seen your setup Pauly. Only problem I have that is I just spent 50 hours fix rust and welding up holes in the engine compartment that I didn't want to mount anything to the inner fender. It is a really sweet setup though. I found an old aluminum motor starter box (industrial light switch) in the scrap bin. Welded up the holes and clear coated it. Going to mount it under the battery tray. Now to order some Bosch relays. After I did the hei upgrade on my car I installed a spst relay on my 1978 kz650 and installed a ato fuse block in the tool box.

Thx I tend to have a lot of free time at work in the weekend... don't tell my boss.

My usual 2 cents. I don't have the money some of you do. I found a 95? Voyager underhood relay/ fuse panel, the fuses and relays of which I reconfigured. There's plenty in there for ignition/ charging, security, pump, and lights. I mounted mine just to rear of battery on the fender apron. The studs at bottom right are high current into the box.

image.php

-
Back