squeezing more hp

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
i have a 73 duster with rebuilt 360 with edelbrock intake and hooker headers and 600 edelbrock carb also pertronix ignitor coil and ignition what else can i do to squeeze some more hp out of it i think i have about 360 hp now does that sound about right for what i have, it was suppose to have 300 hp with rebuild only and not adding the above? thanks

Start at the top of the engine and work your way down before going inside. Since it was rebuilt, I'll assume the cam is what you want in the power range you like.

Air cleaner. An open element is best, a K&N or equal filter is an upgrade as well as a extreme top for extra breathing.

Carb. I like T-Q's for the explosive secondary feel they have, but a well tuned carb is good no matter what make or style. Tune tune tune.

Intake. A hi-rise dual plane is best for the street. (To bad Edelbrock dosen't make on doable for a T-Q.)

Heads. Well preped heads and valve job goes along way. Cam and performance RPM dependent, bowl porting is a nice addition.

Headers. Coated headers or wrapped if you go for that keep heat in and force it to leave where the heat isn't, faster.

Pipe size and style. At 300 hp, 2-1/2 pipe size is a min. (IMO and other manufactures opinions). A X pipe seems to show the best output. H 2nd, dual 3rd.

Muffler. A high flowing muffler can be loud. Catch 22. I went with Hooker Aero Chambers with my mostly stock 440 B engine. (I added a viscous fan, K&N in a trap door intake from a '73 - 340, FBO ignition) There actually quite enuff to have a convo in the car without shouting.

Ignition. Top of the line new parts pay, and pay well in the long run and the right now. Gap plugs wide.

Get rid of parasidic loss. If you can do a electric fan and water pump, your freeing up power instead of turning the pulleys. That also includes A/C and P/S.

A 4 or 5 speed tranny will help in torque release. That'll feel like a great power added.

Like Rumble said.. Start with basics. If you have a stock 360, you have the stock cam too, yes? You can bolt on any fast looking gizmos you want, but with that stock cam, it wont do more than make you feel better really. My guess is you don't have 300hp. Probably closer to 260-280 depending. That's because you have added stuff to help air get in and out, but you havent really gotten MORE air in. More air in, more power out. I would stick a camshaft in it. I have an '87 low comression factory original 30 in my truck. I added a windage tray, and a Comp XE262 cam and lifter package, plus a set of the Comp 901 general performance springs. I am very happy with it. It's also got headers, and a performer intake and carb. It's got torque to spin 31s on my one ton, and idles cleanly, easily running the P/B. I think even the cheaper Summit brand "larger" model would be a big improvement for little cash. Just remember you will need to replace the exh valve rotators with std valve spring retainers, and you must matcht the springs to the cam. And always lean to the smaller side on cam sizing. And you can't go wrong.

what is your goal.
about the only thing you can do without opening the engine is:
super tune ignition,carb
underdrive pullies
clutch fan
lose power assy.
roller rockers - maybe a ratio change
add nos

if you've got a decent engine already, maybe look to the
convertor or gearing for more performance

-
Back