Stainless steel tubing

-

madscientist

Banned
Reaction score
I have tubed 12 or so small blocks to block off the lifters. I've used brass and aluminum. Thinking about thin wall stainless tubing.
I can't think of a reason not to use it. Any one try it and not like it? Can you think of a reason not to use it?

Thanks

M.S.

Not sure exactly what you are doing. Stainless doesn't like to flare (splits easy). If aluminum worked before, that shouldn't be a problem. Don't get a piece in your eye or it will be there forever.

I am blocking off the lifter bores on the passenger side of a small block. I use the aluminum is race only stuff. This is a street strip deal. The brass is getting harder to find. Thinking SS might be the best of both worlds but wanted to see what others think.

What outside diameter tubing will you use? You can get stainless tubing in many different wall thicknesses. Typical wall thickness ranges that we used in building our test systems ranged from .028 to .049. but it could go as high as .095. Annealed 304 stainless would might be a good option to use.

stainless tubing does not dimple very well , its too stiff. that's why mopar recommended copper tubing to be used for sleeving passage. it dimples very easily.

stainless tubing does not dimple very well , its too stiff. that's why mopar recommended copper tubing to be used for sleeving passage. it dimples very easily.

That was my main concern, that it would not dimple well. I don't remember the wall thinkness I was looking at, IIRC it was .032 or maybe a little less.

Screw it, I'll look and find copper. No sense trying to reinvent the wheel. Been there, done that.

Thanks

Bush the lifter bores.

Since I already have the drill, reamer and a peening tool I made (since the MP one I bought way back when...in fact it was DC then) didn't work, it's not worth my time to set the block up and bush the bores. It's a street engine.

Thanks for your response.

-
Back