Stall decision...I have 2 choices

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I am building a fairly lo-buck set-up for my newly acquired 1968 Dart, and I am trying to plan it all out ahead of time while I wait for the cash to get the rest of the parts.

I have a 904 that was gone through a few years ago, I only had maybe 500 miles on it when I took it out. I had used the Mancini Racing rebuild kit, the better one (Its been a while, I dont remember exactly), with a deep pan, etc etc.

I have 2 converters, a stock mid-70's unit, and an ACC Boss Hogg, with approx 3200-3300 stall (at least that is what it was before with a very similar small block, mild.). I know they arent the best, etc, but its what I have.

The engine is a 1996 5.9, stock bottom with an mp 272/278 adv, 218/222 at .050, and .482/.496 lift. I ported the magnum heads myself (I think they turned out pretty well, I used some of the advice on here, various articles, my own judgement, etc). I made a jig and re-drilled the heads so I can use my LD340. I have a set of the std style 1 5/8 headers (the 3 tube under tie rods on the drivers side), and a 750 double pump. MP ignition, I will be making sure the distributor is dead on, and I am going to try one of the rev-o-nator boxes.

The car has a 3.73 8.8 rear, springs moved in, etc.

Now, what converter would you guys use? It will just be driven for fun, and I will be using my huge B&M trans cooler. I am just putting this thing together to have some fun.

Try, the 750 d.p. (for break in). You might like ,a smaller carb eventually.

Just remember..the magnum 360 is externally balanced...and you can not use the LA 360 damper or flexplate/weighted converter...must be for a magnum which is less external weight.

Bruce, the stock, hydraulic roller ,makes a HUGE difference. 18 ,initial,34 total. Hydraulic rollers,trade off in simplicity,offset RPM.The builder's call.

Keep in mind, that even with the short duration cam and his other components, the peak torque will still be well above 3000 rpm's. As long as he's using a reasonable size tire and the 3.73 gear, it will be up on and over that converter in a hurry. Keep in mind it's a fun ride. Daily driving only, with less gear, might alter my view a hair, but i'll stick to the higher stall for the fun of hot rodding it most of the time.

Now, how efficient that particular piece is......well? But that's what he has to choose from at this point.

Good luck which ever way you choose to go.....:thumleft:

Thanks for the info guys! Thats kind of what I was leaning towards too. Still not sure of tire size yet, and I will be using the factory weighted flexplate and elongating a hole.

Im really curious as to how this thing will run!

Thanks for the info guys! Thats kind of what I was leaning towards too. Still not sure of tire size yet, and I will be using the factory weighted flexplate and elongating a hole.

Im really curious as to how this thing will run!

If you use the hog and it has a balance weight be sure you knock it off so it will be neutral balance.

A converter is probably the single most important large purchase for your car. You shouldn't limit yourself to just two simply because you have them.

A converter is probably the single most important large purchase for your car. You shouldn't limit yourself to just two simply because you have them.

I wish I didnt have to, but being unemployed with 6 kids makes it hard to come up with much cash. I am using parts that I already had laying around, except the cam, timing set, etc. I even redrilled the heads myself so I didnt have to buy an intake lol. I cant think of anything I have that I could sell to get enough money for a good converter lol. Besides, this has turned into a bit of a father-son project with my 12 year old, and I would love to get it together so we can have a little fun in it before fall.

Plus, thats the fun with cars. If it doesnt work so well, he will learn from it too! Im sure that whatever I use, it will put a smile on the kids faces (and mine! lol)

do the stall speed you won't be sorry, I run a 5500 on the street. It's a little high but what was called for. A 32 would be just right for your combo and good for the street.

-
Back