Stall

-

1974 dart

Reaction score
Hi, I have been having a problem with my car dying after about 15-30 seconds once its in drive. One of my good friends was helping me try to mess with the carb because that's what we thought it was. We could not get it to do anything else. After he talked to a couple more guys he said do you still have the stock torque converter?? (Because my engine is cammed). I do have the stock converter and he said I need a stall because of the cam, it makes sense now but is that what you all think?? by the way it has a bunch of new parts, all new ignition stuff and fuel system

Is this a new build that has never idled in gear correctly, or is this something that's just popped up?

I would look at the ignition timing and the timing curve...how much initial timing and total timing...

What cam are you using....? ...Carb?

I would look at the ignition timing and the timing curve...how much initial timing and total timing...

What cam are you using....? ...Carb?

I really don't know about timing, I'm using a summit cam and an edelbrock 600 cfm

I really don't know about timing, I'm using a summit cam and an edelbrock 600 cfm

If you want it to run right you'll either have to learn how to check and modify it or pay someone to do it for you because timing is one of the most crucial factors in a car running correctly. You can't just slap a big cam in it and expect it to run right. The timing curve will most likely need adjusted/modified and you might also have to change the step up springs in the carb to lighter ones, depends on how much vacuum the engine pulls. But you gotta get the timing right first.

Telling us you put a Summit cam in it was a waste of time. WHAT Summit cam did you put in it??? If you tell us WHAT cam it is it'll give us a much better understanding of what you need to do.

BTW: it's possible you may have to install a higher stall converter, but first you need to get it running right. If it's not a real big cam the stock converter may work ok.

-
Back